Forthcoming

(last updated on 6 Jan 2018)

RECENTLY PUBLISHED:

September, 2017: Iron Angels, with Alistair Kimble. This novel is a cross between urban fantasy and a police procedural. My co-author is an FBI agent.

December 2017: 1636: The Vatican Sanction, with Charles Gannon. This novel is the sequel to 1635: The Papal Stakes.

SCHEDULED FOR PUBLICATION — firmly scheduled with dates from Baen Books:

February 2018: 1637: The Volga Rules, with Paula Goodlett and Gorg Huff. This is the sequel to 1636: The Kremlin Games.

June 2018: Grantville Gazette VIII.

August 2018: Worlds 2. This is the second collection of my short fiction.

December 2018: All the Plagues of Hell, with Dave Freer. This is the next volume in the Heirs of Alexandria series, which began with Shadow of the Lion and continued on with A Mankind Witch (by Dave Freer alone), This Rough Magic, Much Fall of Blood and the recently published Burdens of the Dead. This book is set in Italy and continues the story of Benito, Maria, Marco and Kat. Prince Manfred, Erik Hakkonsen and Princess Bortai also appear toward the end of the novel.

1637: The Polish Fracas. This is a working title and will not be the title under which the novel is actually published. It’s the direct sequel to 1636: The Ottoman Onslaught and was formerly titled 1636: The Anaconda Project. It is tentatively scheduled for publication sometime in the spring of 2019.

DONE BUT NOT YET SCHEDULED:

1636: The China Venture, with Iver Cooper. This novel centers on China in the last days of the Ming dynasty.

ALSO UNDERWAY — manuscripts being written but not yet scheduled for publication:

1636: The Atlantic Encounter, with Walter Hunt. (Formerly known as 1636: Drums Along the Mohawk.) The first draft of this novel is finished. I decided to hold it back, however, partly because it needs some more work and would fit better in the chronology if it was published later.

Castaway Peril, with Ryk Spoor. This novel is the direct sequel to Castaway Odyssey.

Council of Fire, with Walter Hunt. This novel is set in a fantasy/alternate history North America in the mid-18th century. The passage of Halley’s comet in 1759 triggers a catastrophe that sunders the New World from the Old World, and unleashes magic in the New World.

A Desperate and Despicable Dwarf. This is part of the Joe’s World series, and is the sequel to both Forward the Mage and The Philosophical Strangler. The manuscript is about two-thirds finished.

–Eric

Skip to top

Comments

690 Responses to Forthcoming

1. jpjones says:

Could you please direct me (actually “Mrs. Jones”) to a site that clarifies the current status of the Andre Norton estate. “Mrs. Jones” is a life long reader of Andre Norton and cannot be sure what some of the (apparently) new books being offered really are….. considering some of the barely disguised ghost-written one in the past.

Thanks.

2. Tweeky says:

If the Ottomans are going to invade southern Austria and hold it for a while does that mean Ferdinand III will be forced to acknowledge (by treaty) Wallenstein’s Bohemian kingdom in order to secure his northern flanks? Also I imagine that he’ll basically sede Bavaria (which G2A intends to conquer and add to the USE) to not only secure his northern flanks but also to get rid of that dangerous loose-canon, Maximillian I or “Mad Max”. Eric I do hope in any future books you’ll have Maximillian referred to as “Mad Max” by the European public at large (It’d also infuriate Mad Max too).

3. Twitchy says:

I hate to rush you guys, and thanks for all the great books, but I’m running out of ‘Gazettes’ to read. Hurry up!

4. George says:

I love the 16xx series and have read and re-read several over the years, however, I am curious that in a town of thousands there are no gay or lesbian characters. In a town where many of the people are UMWA (yes, hillbillies and all) it’s still odd that this subject has never come up. There is however the notable exception that many of the characters, even gentler/kinder/open-minded characters use the word “faggot/fag” especially those who are in the Union and often have gay rights protected in their constitutions. I understand that some less sophisticated characters might use such language but when those words are used, it’s shakes me out of my suspension of disbelief. And despite how much I love the series, this disappoints me.

In a world where many nations and “movers and shakers” have read the future developments of society, it’s surprising that no one has actually brought up the subject (apart from the odd faggot comment—which is always aimed at someone in particular.)

Anyway, just curious why this is the case. I would love if somewhere in the 1632 universe there was a non-stereotypical representation of gay/lesbian people.

• Bret Hooper says:

I agree with George: I, too “am curious that in a town of thousands there are no gay or lesbian characters.” Specifically, in a village of 3000 I would expect about 150 to 300, and by 2000 C.E. I would expect at least some of them to be out of the closet (the social milieu of Germany in 163x may have persuaded them to reenter the closet, which could be a story in itself). Mary Simpson, being a UU, would be likely to have an enlightened view on the subject, and of course the 250 crowd surely would not.

• A.L. Noble says:

I agree with George in that since studies show at least 10% of general population is oriented towards the same sex – and more than that if bisexual people are included – there should be some characters who evince this. Even if their context forbids them from being open about their attractions / preference, their *thoughts* should be worked into things somewhere, as many characters’ internal dialogue is present in many scenes.

And one thing useful to highlight if a writer has a character using the pejorative “faggot” is where that comes from: in the 17th century, a “faggot” is a bundle of *firewood* …and the reason this became an insult to a gay person is because it was considered that at a witch burning things could start off by burning some of them, before proceeding to burning the ‘witch’.

The UK term “fag” for a *cigarette* is of course related to the burning-brand definition of faggot.

I am pretty thoroughly addicted to this alt-historical stream, can’t wait for more.

• Mañuel Laver says:

Note: the following has as little to do with consensual sex between adults as does the master of a Victorian house raping a maid and then firing her for pregnancy. Lesbian and homosexual acts’ unjust proscription and their performers’ persecution does not preclude some such having been in fact deplorable—bad people come in all sorts, and bad customs are present in all cultures and sub-cultures.

I’m afraid the witch-burning explanation is a bit mythical. It’s more accepted that the term derives from the English practice of boys’ and younger teens’ ‘fagging’ for older teens and men at public school or at university, that is bringing wood for the fire, water for drinking or mild washing (baths were hauled by more regularly employed servants), and cleaning. Since sexual use and exploitation of female servants by adult men was common, it wasn’t a stretch to treat your faggot-boy similarly. This sexual contact was at best only pseudo-voluntary: at public school, fagging was done by much younger boys and teens, at university, by much poorer town youths. As usual, the abuser usually would not consider himself (in modern terms) gay, just taking his pleasure where he could with someone who had little choice in the matter (and likely ‘deserved’ contempt for it) .

Caution: The sexual nature of the relationship was far from universal: at least until recently, a fifty-year-old Cabinet secretary might with affection say of a slightly older M.P. ‘I fagged for him at Harrow, he’s sound’ without implication of any sort of sexual relationship, voluntary or not or problematic. (A fifty-year-old in London would not be expected to remember the name, face, or existence of a young man who fagged for him at Cambridge, sex or no sex.)

5. bob robertson says:

enjoyed Kremlin games tremendously. One suggestion for the series is for the USE to suffer a reversal since so far, its been all going forward. This does not seem realistic as much as I like happy endings.

• RichardK says:

Headlines:
      “G2A defeated and injured on field of battle!”
      “Ingolstadt taken by Mad Max!”
      “Amsterdam surrenders to Infante!”

It is how you deal with the trials of life that defines a man (or a country).

• Vikingted says:

I think that USE as of 1635:Eastern Front is bogged down in Poland. I am reading thru the series again. Next up either 1635:EF or the Barvarian Crisis…

6. bob robertson says:

on a separate track I am looking forward to the next book in the Honorverse series with my favorite characters: Anton Zilwicki and Victor Cachat. Hopefully its already written but, if not get working on it.

7. ann says:

I like the new web page design
    also George needs to go to the gazettes there are several stories that feature gays both uptimers and downtimers

• JLR says:

Counting the Sept ’12 Gazette there will actually be enough named gay lesbian characters that you’ll no longer be able to count them on one hand. Still zero for any of the regular books…

8. Kris says:

I have only one complaint about the 1632 series as a whole, and its one of those ‘too much of a good thing’ kind of complaints. Grantville arrived in 1631 in the year 2000. In the year 2012 we’re only in 1636. At about half ‘real’ time I fear both old age in myself, and the various authors will become a factor. I realize that as complaints go its pretty lame, but as a character in a book (I forget which one) says, “some people would complain about being beheaded with a golden axe.”

Personally, aside from the main series I’m looking forward to the England based stuff the most. Thanks Eric, and may you live an extraordinarily long life!!!

9. r0adkil says:

Hey who wrote the above? Drak? Eric? under the ‘Coming Soon’ – Portal, with Ryk Spook. Ryk’s not that bad surely =). Spoor spelling perhaps?

cheers

10. The Arkansas War sequel????

• Would love to know as well, got impression not going to be one.

• Juliana says:

heya guys, just letting you know that DarkAngelsofDeath or DAOD as we refer to it, is a gay fidlnrey guild on the horde side of Alexstraza. the Co-Guild Mistresses are Alexstria and Xeoula and I myself and a ranking officer, Melvalin (yes she is a female forsaken, i just happen to think she is badass but i myself am a guy) drop us some mail and i’ll get you in the guild.

11. Tamquam says:

Actually, George, there would likely be only 80-90 if percentages in 1600’s are comparable to modern times. But why should we specifically look for gays? I haven’t seen any diabetics and I haven’t missed them either.

• dps says:

As far as diabetics go, if they’re insulin-dependent, they’re dead.

There have been several mentions of up-timers who have died because they no longer had access to the medicines that were keeping them alive. I don’t recall if any of them were specifically stated to be diabetics who died after their supply of insulin ran out, but it would be likely that many, if not most of them were.

• Elizabeth Sheffield says:

Hey – not true. There are two teenage diabetics of one of the
        eGazettes and someone actually creates a form of insulin which works for one and not the other!!!!

E.

• KateFitz says:

Possibly because in the 16XX universe, romantic plots are a feature of almost all the stories, which means that sexual orientation becomes obvious, and every single one of these plots are about straight people. Why would anyone want to read about it? Well, maybe because some of us are gay, and are otherwise enjoying these stories, but it’s a little disheartening never to see ourselves acknowledged or reflected, even in passing. It’s a really great fictional playground, why wouldn’t we want to see people like ourselves in it?

(There was one story by another writer in one Grantville Gazette about a gay character, but it involved the Grantville intelligence agency using the threat of outing and thus death to blackmail him. And this was not treated as a bad thing by any Grantville government characters or resolved. It was very disturbing to find this as the only mention that we even exist. It’s not what I would call a heartening sign.)

• Iver Cooper says:

You are thinking of the Kirt Lee story, Venus and Mercury (GG24), I believe.

However, Mackey, Boom Toys (GG35) and Game, Set and Match (GG23) featured a lesbian couple. For that matter, Mackey, Land of Ice and Sun (GG11) had a historical female transvestite character. Perhaps you will like those portrayals better.

If you want to see more homosexual characters in the 1632 canon the solution is simple: write a good story with such a character and post it to 1632 slush!

12. James Holland says:

I just finished “Time Spike”. Will we be seeing any more of the cast from this book? I’m still trying to get my head around the union of a gay black hit man with a white lesbian biker chick prison guard. That is so wrong on so many different levels that my head hurts and my chest hurts from all the laughter.

13. I am very glad that there are no mention of gays. The number of gays have always been over rated except in cities like San Francisco,New York, LA, Dallas or other such very large cities. Maybe in these cities there are large amounts, since the gravitational pull to their large communities. But 1 to 2 % maybe even 3% at the most in a town the size of Grantville. Also, being homosexual during the 1600’s was not an accepted “lifestyle”, though it did happen. But if you were homosexual, and not a powerful person, you could very easily have your sex organs cut out and fed to you as not. And it may very well be the powerful who were closet homo-sexuals that did it to you. And even though there were homosexuals among some of the monasteries (very few, it has highly been over-rated), the Church, regardless of denomination, spoke against homosexuality, as it should. It’s not until the mid-1900’s that nations started becoming Homo-envious rather than Homo-phobic. So I don’t want to even think about a “gay”friendly book coming out. It’s bad enough that there isn’t more resistence among the protestants of this time-line to basic Neo-orthodoxy that is being promoted among the inhabitants of Grantville. Or towards the Pentecostal denomination, since modern day pentecostalism and what has been eronneously called Annabaptists of the Peasants revolt (Spiritualists would be a better name for the Muenster rebellionists), which took place before the ring of fire. True Annabaptists were the Swiss Brethren (that broke off of Zwingli over infant Baptism), who’s followers later affected the priest Menno Simmons into renouncing his previous priesthood and becoming an Anabaptist mover and shaker (his followers being the Mennonites) and his later friend, Ames, who’s followers were later called Amish. These and others like them were the true Anabaptist. Menno Simmons group settled mostly in Holland while Ames’s group stayed in the Germanies proper. I know that the people of the time used Anabaptist for any who were not Atheist, who had very few outward adherents, Socianist, Jewish, Islamic, Catholic/Orthodox, Lutheran, or Calvanists. So for them to use it, it fits, but for Grantvillers of the ring of fire it would be nice to have the correct distinction. Also, Eric, when you get to doing your British Isles thread, it would be great to remember that the Baptists (general branch) went across the channel to be baptized by the Mennonites in Holland. to officially start their group after they split off from the British Seperatists. The Calvanistic group, the Particular Baptists, saw no reason to go to another group since they viewed the church as totally fallen and depraved in doctrine and just baptized each other. And I said all this since, you are dealing with Cromwell, because his forces that brought him great victory were heavily influenced and manned by English Baptists. Check the background of some of his colonels. I don’t remember which ones, but I do remember reading about them. Unlike their Mennonite brothers, they didn’t mind getting involved in politics. And the Anabaptists on Continental Europe and the Baptists in England heavily influenced how things went. Though they are given little credit or the atrocities against them ever really revealed. Oh well, enough of my tirade.
    But given the start of this discourse, I think Eric Flint has the right of it on the homosexual issue in his present books, it’s a sideline if anything. You deal with it as you come to it historically, not intentionally make it a platform in the books. Now it the timeline gets to “Jolly” King James of Scotland/England then there history will be right to talk about him being one. Or if it was about a couple of the popes being ones before this timeline, that would be different. But don’t press the issue where it doesn’t belong.
    So I’ve hit my two pet peeves, and trying to head off a third one: The neo-orthodoxy being presented, the lack of continuing a presence about the anabaptists such as the mennonites that settled in the ring of fire and heading off the out of proportion suggestions of making the book into a platform for homosexual agenda. So now I will probably be receiving tirades from the above emails that were promoting it. I won’t be answering any since this is not the platform for doing arguments back and forth. I do hope that Eric Flint will take to heart what I’ve pointed out in future books and continue doing the superb job that has his books keeping my interest avidly, mouth watering for the next. It has been a joy of reading.

• Bret Hooper says:

@Timothy Kirby:
      I certainly agree that homosexuality should not be the main focus of a 163x novel, but realistically, since homosexuals comprise some 5-10% of the general population, one would expect some of the citizens of Grantville to be gay. But the only gay character I recall is a downtimer in one story in one of the RoF or GG volumes. (Thank you, Ann, for reminding us of that.)

So I have to agree with George that there should be some mention of gay and lesbian citizens of Grantville if only for the sake of realism. Club 250ers would revile them, of course, and Mike and Becky and the other good people of Grantville would have the decency to treat them as just people.

According to John 13:34, the Hebrew prophet Yeshua bar Miriam (Jesus) called on us to “love one another.” He is not recorded as listing any exceptions to that commandment.

• Drak Bibliophile says:

Please take the Gay rights debate elsewhere. This isn’t the place for it.

• @drak: I didn’t think we were discussing “Gay Rights,” merely the undeniable existence of gays and lesbians; that it is unrealistic to assume a town of circa 3000 with none of them. It is hardly to be expected that any serious question of gay rights will arise in 163x; Melissa Mailey’s comment that “anyone trying to emulate Mahatma Ghandi or the Reverend Martin Luther King in this day and age is guaranteed a short life.” [1633, chapter 13] is equally applicable to anyone trying to emulate Frank Kameny or Jim Oakes.

14. Isaac Cashman says:

I agree with David Walters.

Will we ever see book thrre of the “Trail of Glory” series?

15. Andreas says:

I don’t actually like the parallel development too much. Sure, great books, but it looks a lot like it currently takes 2 years to write one year of the 1632 universe. It would be interesting to see how the fictional universe develops, for example 1642, and what kind of technology they have by then. But will Eric Flint still be writing in 12 years from now?

16. WCG says:

Yes, I’ve been eager for the next book in the Trail of Glory series, too. Admittedly, I worry about Eric Flint having too many irons in the fire, since his books have been a bit hit or miss lately. But I really do enjoy the Trail of Glory setting and theme.

17. Timothy Kirby says:

I like the new look of your website. A suggestion would be to add all the books you’ve published and those you’ve co-published, or have allowed others to write into your timeline, shown with a device that has an arrowhead on each end of the selections row shown, that when clicked, will move the displayed selections to the next group of undisplayed selections of your books. Some of the dating sites are using such to display pictures of their matches or of individual persons picture album, without having to show all of the pics at one time. It works well. All you would have to do is display as you are now, the book covers with a arrow on each end that enables the above activity. Just a suggestion. Overall, your site rocks!

18. Nick Benjamin says:

I feel like a bit of an ass for asking, but I really liked this series.

What effect will KD Wentworth’s passing have on the Empire series?

• Drak Bibliophile says:

Nick, the last I heard, even Eric doesn’t know. She was working on the next book before her death but Eric didn’t know where she was on it and didn’t want to bother her family about it.

19. Eric Flint says:

In response to Nick (and Drak):

I have been in touch with Kathy’s husband Richard lately. He checked her computer and discovered than in addition to the first two chapters of SPAN OF EMPIRE, which I already had from her, Kathy had written two more and part of a third before she stopped working. He has sent them to me.

He has also agreed to my proposal for how to handle the somewhat complicated situation involving Kathy’s contracts, that would allow me to use what Kathy wrote on SPAN OF EMPIRE and continue with the project. I have had a preliminary discussion about it with Toni and she seems amenable also — although I need to make clear that so far Toni hasn’t actually agreed to anything.

I will be seeing Toni at Libertycon in a few days and this is one of the things we’ll be talking about. When something finally gels I will post it here on my web site as well as in Baen’s Bar.

• Robert H. Woodman says:

I missed this comment when I asked my question on the same subject, so I feel a bit embarrassed that I posted.

I’m sorry to hear of K.D. Wentworth’s passing. I enjoyed the heck out of the two books in the Empire series, and I was looking forward to a third.

• cka2nd says:

Eric, I hope all is well with you and yours. May I ask if you have any news regarding Span of Empire? You and Kathy really did a hell of a job creating three distinct alien races – I’ve tried to picture just how Jao body speech could ever be animated or filmed – and I’d really love to see the story continue. Also, was the original plan for three books or four? The prospect of a Jao/Human/Lynx fleet conducting an expedition in search of allies to join the fight against the Ekhat did not strike me as something that could be tied up in the final volume of the series, so a fourth book seemed logical to me.

20. Eric Flint says:

In reply to Isaac and WCG:

I have a contract with Baen for two more books in the Trail of Glory series. (Sometimes referred to as the Sam Houston series.) So, yes, there will be more books in the series. I’m sorry for the delay in getting it out. That’s simply caused by a combination of the fact that I have a lot of work piled up and that two major medical issues in the past three years — one involving me; one involving my wife Lucille — cost me a lot of work time. (My heart surgery in 2009 and Lu losing the sight in her left eye last year.)

I’m afraid it’ll still be at least a year before I can start working on it. In addition to some smaller projects I have two major projects I need to complete before I could consider working on Trail of Glory #3: the next book I have to do with David Weber in the Harrington series — which I’ve already started on — and my next solo novel in the 1632 series.

• Rick says:

Thanks for that information about the Trail of Glory series. I’m sorry to hear that you and your family have been having medical problems and hope that works out for the best. I’m looking forward to the 3rd book with great anticipation.

• cka2nd says:

Regarding the Trail of Glory series, Eric, would you be able and willing to give us any ideas about the general plots of the two remaining books? For instance, will the third be a direct and immediate sequel to 1824: The Arkansas War, or will it jump ahead 12 or so years the way 1824 did from 1812: The Rivers of War?

21. Eric Flint says:

With regard to the issue of gays and lesbians brought up by several people:

First, I suppose I need to establish my own personal attitude. I have no problem with anyone’s sexual orientation and never have had. My sister was a lesbian and was quite open about it since she was a teenager. That was something of a problem for my father, I think — although he never said anything explicitly bigoted — but it wasn’t for either me or my mother. I was and remain on good terms since her death with my sister’s various lesbian friends. Two of my own friends are gay. One of my daughter’s closest friends is gay and was the usher at her wedding some years ago.

In short, my contact with gay and lesbian people is ongoing, constant — and, probably most important — isn’t a big deal to anybody.

But none of that has much to do with story-telling. The reason there are no significant gay or lesbian characters so far in the 1632 series is simply because no story has come to me in which having an LGBT character would seem particularly advantageous. It’s exactly the same reason that, so far, no significant Chinese character or person of Chinese descent has ever appeared in any novel I’ve written — although some Chinese characters did appear in my novella “Carthago Delenda Est.”

Think about it. Chinese or people of Chinese ancestry constitute about 25% of the human race — which is a hell of a lot higher percentage than gays and lesbians do, no matter who does the calculating. (More on that in a moment.) Yet not only do no Chinese appear in any novel of mine but… nobody has ever raised the issue, whereas by now several people have raised the issue of the absence of gays and lesbians in the 1632 series.

My point is that peoples’ perceptions often have more to do with their own perception of reality than reality itself. To put it another way, they see patterns where no patterns exist because their own perceptions predispose them to see certain patterns. To put it more bluntly, why are people twitchy about the absence of gays and lesbians in the 1632 stories when they _aren’t_ twitchy about the absence of Chinese in _any_ novel of mine?

The reason there aren’t any significant Chinese characters in any novel of mine (so far) is the same reason they aren’t (so far) any significant LBGT characters in the 1632 series. No story has come to my mind in which having either a Chinese or an LGBT character seems particularly relevant or useful in dramatic terms.

Finally, a word on the question of what percentage of the population is gay and lesbian. The issue is inherently fuzzy because there is no hard and sharp line between “straight” and “gay” when it comes to sexual orientation. Leaving aside people who are bisexual their entire lives, many people go through a process of sexual experimentation early in their lives before finally — if they ever do — settling their own orientation. That was true of me, for instance. When I was about 12, my best friend and I had what could be considered a somewhat “soft” (i.e., no penetration took place) homosexual relationship. That last for perhaps six to nine months and then it ended. As we got older we both found ourselves completely oriented toward females. So it has remained for me the rest of my life and so — by hearsay; I haven’t seen him personally in decades — my friend.

Lots of people go through that experience. Does that make them “gay” or even “bisexual”? To me, no — but other people reckon these things differently.

In general, the perception most people have of what percentage of the population is gay or lesbian is greatly inflated. In most polls, most people will estimate that gays and lesbians constitute upward of 15% of the population — some say, as high as 25%. That is wildly inaccurate. The real figure — assuming that we’re talking about people with a definite and fixed sexual orientation — is almost certainly below 5% and probably somewhere in the 2 to 4% range. That, at least, is the figure that keeps coming up in poll after poll taken in many different advanced industrial countries, so it seems (as much as possible) to eliminate or at least minimize the effect of national cultural issues.

The figure of 10% that you often run across comes from Kinsey’s study back in the 1950s, which was the first study ever done of the issue. But given that Kinsey’s subjects were all volunteers and not selected at random, that figure seems almost certainly skewed.

• Careful, Eric; Drak says not to “debate” the LGBT issue. He may kick you off the blog!

• Mark Skinner says:

A couple of things Eric.

First, let me say how much I enjoy your books.

Second, I must admit that I never gave much thought to the lack or otherwise of gay characters.

Having said that, there is at least one glaringly obvious gay plot bunny given the philosophical thrust of all your books: namely the effect of the differences in values between the USA in modern times, and 1630’s Europe. That is: imagine someone from downtime (eg Melor, or an agent of Philip V etc) trying to blackmail an up-timer. The possible range of expectations of the down-timer, and the reality of the up-timer reaction very much illustrate the the repeated themes of your series. That up-timer reaction could vary between outright derision, thus causing an immediate upset to the down-timer, or a much more nuanced up-timer pretending to be cowed, and then feeding the down-timer with false information with the knowledge of Nasi, for example. Or maybe even the Pope having second thoughts – especially if the false information feed were to be crucial to his survival in some future novel.

Not that I am suggesting anything more than if some klutz like me can think of a plot bunny, I am sure that you could do far far better.

• Nick Benjamin says:

You’re forgetting two things.

1) Grantville has never experienced the 21st century, with it’s full acceptance of gay relationships. It never got through 2000. In 2000 Bill Clinton was considered pro-gay despite DOMA and Don’t Ask/Don’t Tell being his ideas.

2) Grantville is a small, Socially Conservative, town. This is a major problem in terms of finding a mate because if 4-6% of the population is gay, only means only 2-3% is gay and the right gender. Gay and the right gender and the within a couple years of your age in a town Grantville’s size? Probably a couple people. Maybe nobody. There are only about 2,000 uptimers in total, and 3% of 2,000 is 60 guys.

Which means a lot of gay Grantvillers would have moved from the town even if it hadn’t also been Socially Conservative. You’re really under-estimating the homophobia of Y2K Grantville. Gay couples in small-towns in the year 2000 simply did not come out of the closet. Even people who didn’t disapprove of homosexual sex in principle would have considered being out “flaunting it,” and strongly disapproved of that.

I would also guess you’re over-estimating the homophobia of the period. Nobody would have approved of gay sex, or open homosexuality, and if you got caught by a religious reformer you were in deep shit. But most people weren’t religious reformers. As the books show, most people didn’t really care what those reformers thought, they just wanted to say the right Creed so the damn reformer would go away and leave them alone.

• cka2nd says:

Mr. Benjamin makes some good points. When I was thinking of trying my hand at writing a Grantville story centered around Queer characters some years ago – I don’t think any of the Gazette stories with LGBT folks had appeared yet – I picked up a couple of books, one on medieval underground communities – including gays – and the other on being Gay in rural America. I also surfed the net trying to locate the nearest gay bar to Mannington, WV because I had seen a documentary about rural LGBT life and bars seemed to still be virtual community centers in the country where they haven’t been for 20 or 30 years in the cities.

I’d personally love to see more Gazette stories about the intersection of 20th Century and 17th Century queer folk in the 1632 universe – especially ones where nascent communities are developing (a bar here, a Lesbian floating pot luck dinner there) and some brave (perhaps deluded) soul(s) decided to try cracking open the closet door – but I decided that I wasn’t the one to try writing them.

• cka2nd says:

Oh, one note about that famous figure of 10% from Kinsey that Eric cited. If memory serves, I believe that the 10% referred to that percentage of the (male?) population that had had any same-sex sexual contact in their lifetime, not the percentage that considered themselves primarily or exclusively attracted to the same sex.

22. Tweeky says:

Eric, i’d really like to know when the third book in the “Pyramid” series is going to be written.

• Eric Flint says:

I don ‘t have an exact answer to that. I know Dave has started working on the first draft of the manuscript but I don’t know how far he got and whether he’s still working on it or had to break off to do something else.

23. Aaron says:

Is “A Desperate and Despicable Dwarf” still actively being worked on? I loved the Joe’s World series and would very much like to see it continued?

24. Robert H. Woodman says:

Will there be any more novels with K.D. Wentworth in the Empire series?

• Kristin says:

I would love to know this too! My husband and I have enjoyed the first two books so much, and we recommend them to many of our friends!

We’d love to see this story continue.

25. Julio Rodriguez says:

Really enjoy the Belisarius and the Assiti Shards series thank you for all the hrs of entertainment it has provided me.

26. Scott Steely says:

I do like the 16xx series, but Audible only carries 3 of the books. any word on when they well pick up the rest

27. John Jones says:

Any word on the Rivers of War series? I enjoyed the heck out of the first two books and am really hoping for more to come.

28. jim p says:

Mr Flint, I’m afraid that you and your co-authors must be doing things like sleeping, eating, socializing, exercising, and the like which take away from serious 1632 Series writing. Given how entertaining these stories are, as well as intellectually stimulating, I ask you to please examine your lives and set your priorities straight: give the public more books, and faster!

And thanks for some of the most fun reading in the sci-fi/fantasy field that I’ve had in years.

• Vikingted says:

All work and no play makes for a dull Eric. Thanks Eric for your genius and I hope that it continues for quite a while.

29. Richard Brown says:

I was wondering whether 1634 Baltic War will be coming out in an audio version?

30. Klara Lammers says:

I’ve just read that “burdens of the dead” is due to be published next year, that there might be a 3rd “Pyramids”book and that you are contracted to write some time in the future more books in the “trail of glory”series. Ever since I first picked up one of your books in the bookstory (1632) because it had an interesting cover, I’ve enjoyed your alternative histories. Thank you for writing so many entertaining books! I do have a question. Is “Burdens of the dead” the same book described on Mercedes Lackey’s site as “Great doom’s shadow”

31. dps says:

Mr. Flint, this is kind of an odd question, I suppose, but counting Bernie in Kremlin games, there are at least 5 Grantsville characters that played wargames pre-Ring of Fire. Are there really that many wargamers in Mannington? I come from West Virginia myself, and my hometown’s roughly twice the size of Mannington, but except for my brother, I never knew anybody to play against there.

32. dave o says:

I expect to get a lot of hostile comment. Nevertheless, I think Flint has two good series, 16xx and the Cherokee one (only two books, so far. Damn). And good collaborations with Weber. I’m sorry to say this, but most of the rest of his work isn’t worth reading. I tried.

I also think that the Grantville Gazette is becoming weaker and weaker. The current edition (Aug 2012) has no good stories, and the last couple of issues weren’t much better. It may be time to sink it. Or maybe make it a quarterly.

• colfaxstation says:

Well, the question is then, what type of stories do you want to see in the Gazette?
      Or do you have some for example?

• @ dave o: Your taste is obviously different from mine, and that is ok. I really like almost everything EF has written; the one exception is Joe’s World. I read The Philosophical Strangler and decided not to buy other books in that series. EF is in no way unique in being unable to please all the people all the time, but he has clearly pleased a lot of us a lot of the time. (He is my #1 favorite living SF author, and I especially love 1632, as anyone who visits my website (just click on my name above) can tell immediately.

So, Eric, keep up the good work! And do fortify yourself with enough sleep and a good diet, jim p (jokingly, I am sure) to the contrary notwithstanding.

33. Bradford says:

I’m wondering if there are any plans for more books about the Witches of Karres. Any idea of when or if?

34. kristofer says:

mr. flint, like your books alot. so much im trying to get my friends to read them as well, success with one atleast. we read time spike and was wondering if, when you get into 1632 america, if any lingering effects of the spike would show it self. also is there any chance of more of the spikes story.

35. Your books are like cookies for a fat man, very pleasing.
    The only problem is your not baking enough.
    I’ll die of starvation before something happens in North America, England, Scotland, or High Sea Adventures. Come on you guys write faster.
    Nine years ago we summited our names for the Community/barflies. Have your noticed the average age between then and now, and how many of us are still alive. I would love to see you all climb out of the European quicksand and stretch your sealegs.
    Jon S

• colfaxstation says:

Have you checked for Grantville Gazette stories? There are a number of short stories and longer, serialized stories there on the areas you’re asking about. There are plans to publish Northwest passage as an ebook, Walter Hunt is working on a story along the eastern seaboard and Iver Cooper has a book in the works on the Japanese along the west coast. Look up above for other Forthcoming books.

36. Sorry about printing Jim P’s comment. I agree with him, but didn’t mean to reprint his comment.
    Jon

37. henry says:

when will you complete the THE PYRAMID SERIES, i have been waiting for 7 years now?

38. Jonathan says:

Is the planned third book in the Pyramid series going to happen, or has it been scrapped?

39. Gabriel Xavier says:

Eric are you going 2 go back 2 the main line, I would love 2 read about USE military shut the sultan down. IM also looking foward to read about Capt EDDIE CANTRELL navy adventures And the Britan storys thanks

40. Simon says:

Hey Eric,

It has been ten years since your last Joe book. I have been craving your flourishes, puns as much as the lunacy of Wolfgang, the complaining of Ignace and the ethical paradoxes of Greyboar. I can only assume that the series no longer inspires you as it is taking a while to get out…

If its any motivation, I have re-read both books about three times. Hoping for a conclusion soon.

Simon

41. Tweeky says:

In regard to the Pyramid series, Eric, how much time elapsed between the end of Pyramid Schemes and the beginning of Pyramid Power as it was never explicitly stated. Also for the next novel would you and Dave Freer please have pictures/drawings of all the characters in question.

42. hank says:

Would someone please update the “Forthcoming” page? i assume there has been some change in 1/2 year…

43. Ed T. says:

I second the motion.

44. George A. Trosper, aka GeorgeTSLC says:

On Mercedes Lackey’s site, http://www.mercedeslackey.com/books/serra8.html describes “Stoned Souls”–prominently missing “1636”–thus:

“Stoned Souls is the fifth book in the SERRAted Edge series.

“Conal and Dottie from Fairgrove take a break in Florida while Conal sorts out his troubles stemming from the loss of his twin. Unfortunately, trouble wants to follow.

“The Bedlam Bards series, the SERRAted Edge series, and the Diana Tregard books are all set in the same universe, and feature elves, magic, and modern life.”

So presumably NOT a 1632 sequel.

That would seem to negate the possibility of publishing “1636: Stoned Souls” under that title, but maybe I’m missing something?

• Eric Flint says:

That information on Misty’s web site is obsolete. She decided to scrap the original SERRAted edge project novel “Stoned Souls.” In order to handle her contractual obligation to Baen, she and I agreed to roll her existing contract into a new contract for a 1632 series title with the same name — except it would now be “1636: Stoned Souls.”

45. Timothy Kirby says:

I feel like I’m going through 163x withdrawals. I’ve read every book printed in the series and most 3 times at least. Please give a glimmer of hope and let us know when the next is actually coming out and let it be soon. Please. Like I said, I’m going through withdrawal, thus the pleading.

46. Jacob Tito says:

Are you planing another “mainline” 1632 book?

47. Tweeky says:

Eric, do you have any revised updates to the tentative release dates for your various 163x novels that you post on July, 2012 last year?

Also how much time elapsed between the end of “Pyramid Schemes” and “Pyramid Power” as the it wasn’t clear in the sequel. Has Dave said anything to you about the status of the third Pyramid-series book yet?

48. Ricky says:

the “forthcoming”-page needs an update urgently!

49. Gabriel Xavier says:

Eric, when is the next 1632 series book coming out any thread from main to eastern

50. Art says:

It has been a few years since 1824(trail of glory series)was published. When will the next book (#3) be arriving on my ebook shelf? Thank you and keep all the great work in this and the other series we all enjoy way to much.