EARC of War Maid’s Choice

Is available at http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1591-war-maids-choice-arc.aspx

Oh, snippets will start March 19th.

This entry was posted in Snippets, WeberSnippet. Bookmark the permalink.
Skip to top

13 Responses to EARC of War Maid’s Choice

1. haree says:

So… what is it?

set in a fake middle ages knightly errantry

Regular fantasy

2. Bewildered says:

Sweet! I wasn’t even aware this was coming, and a 3rd July release date so it’ll arrive about the same time I get back from non-English speaking parts :)

3. Drak Bibliophile says:

Haree, it’s the third book of a series and the first book is available for free in eformat.

For the Free Ebook, see: http://www.baenebooks.com/p-297-oath-of-swords.aspx

Oh, while the description might make you think it’s purely humorous, it’s not.

David Weber mixed humor and “high adventure”.

There is sorcery and there are swords, but it’s not Conan. [Wink]

4. hank says:

4th book actually. “Oath of Swords,” “The War God’s Own,” “Wind Rider’s Oath,” and now WMC.
    Also a Novella, “Sword Brother,” which can be found in “Worlds of Weber” & in the TPB re-issue of OoS. I like ’em.
    hank, the pedant

5. Drak Bibliophile says:

Hank, all I can say is “Oops!”. [Smile]

6. classic space opera fan says:

I’m pretty sure the War God’s Own is also in the Free Library.

Insert joke about how Drak is actually correct, WMC is actually the second half of WRO, book three, six years later…

I don’t know how to describe the series, beyond very good.

7. Joe says:

Another day another $15 sacrificed to my addiction for cool books NOW :D

8. Bewildered says:

Conan meets LotR?

Definitely very good. And the free versions make it easy to discover. Any chance of hardback reprinting? :)

9. classic space opera fan says:

I’ve only just started reading Conan, but I think Bahzell may be a little too Lawful Good for Conan, especially the lawful part.

I find it really hard to say which sub-genre, because I can build a case for many, but I don’t think any short description I make can do the series justice. For example ‘Orc Paladin who…’, leaves out everything to do with work that David has clearly done making sure that the industrial and commercial systems in the setting are realistic. Yeah, this novel seems to as part of the bad guys motivation for the A plot, but the thread was in the earlier books, with none of the handwaving and absurdity I’ve seen in some fantasies. So, very high quality world building with, I think, less of the usual Weber infodumps.

For Bahzell, read the first chapter of Oath of Swords. For the setting as a whole, without spoilers, read the first chapter of War Maid’s Choice to the first mention of Orfressa. (This won’t have spoilers, it just won’t be as interesting for non-fans.)

Then there are all the suckerpunches that are coming. Even with Weber telegraphing some of them, I have a feeling that they are going to hit hard, and some are going to seem to come from nowhere. ‘Tum te tum tum…’ indeed.

10. JeffM says:

I honestly think that Bahzell is my favorite Weber storyline–and I’m not generally a big fantasy fan.

11. Jeff Ehlers says:

Oh, heck yes. This is great news, and comes up just short of a sequel to Hell Hath No Fury.

12. Robert McKnight says:

I agree with all of the above. What puzzles me, the list of books in this series includes War Maid’s Own. Google could not find it anywhere, so ????????

13. Drak Bibliophile says:

Robert, _War Maid’s Own_ is likely a mistake. One of the early books is _War God’s Own_. [Smile]

Of course, _War Maid’s Choice_ is a July release.