Contact Eric

Best way to contact Eric is to post on Baen’s Bar at http://bar.baen.com. He wanders in and out of Baen’s Bar almost daily, monitoring several of the conferences personally. You can login to visit and read the conferences as a guest, but you will have to register to be able to participate, that is to say post any comments. We have a strict ‘No Hitting Rule’ at the Bar, so you don’t need to worry about wandering into a flame war. Just announce that you’re new and you’ll be gladly shown the ropes. Check out the Baen’s Bar FAQs listed on the left of the message board at Baen’s Bar. You will most likely find Eric posting to these conferences at Baen’s Bar:

► 1632 Tech Manual (Eric’s conference dealing with the 1632 universe)
► BuShips (David Weber’s conference)
► Classic SF (Eric’s conference devoted to his editing work)
► Dixon’s Vixen (Misty Lackey’s conference)
► Doctor Monkey (Dave Freer’s conference)
► Honorverse (Dave Weber’s conference devoted to the Honor Harrington universe)
► Mutter of Demons (Eric’s conference)

255 Responses to Contact Eric

1. JR says:

Eric Flint, the author of “1632”!

I’m your reader from the other side of the globe. I read “1632” during a civil war in my country… an experience not easy to forget! Now, many years later, I’m writing this to tell you:

According to fairly objective criteria [1] [2]…Sad to say, but

* The USA is fast moving toward a fully developed totalitarianism. *

You have freedoms. And you have the power to make choices – such as these:

To strive for a “1632”-style self-governance – and turn much of “1632” into reality! See [3] below.

Or internationalize! (See 4.)

Or try a combination of both!

You can call me back, and, in any case, I’ll always cheer for you!

JR

[1] http://www.opednews.com/author/author12495.html
    [2] http://lewrockwell.com/rockwell/fascist-threat192.html
    [3] http://newswithviews.com/Vieira/edwin197.htm http://www.newswithviews.com/Vieira/edwin206.htm
    [4] http://www.internationalman.com/

P.S. I know that most people find this a very delicate topic, and prefer to be silent about it.

• margaret redmon says:

I happen to agree with you and it is getting worse. It seems like we are ready, as a country to go down the tubes in style, trading freedom for “safety”.

2. Fred Fisher says:

I’m just getting into ebooks and I’ve noticed that maps don’t translate well in that medium. I am reading Kremlin Games at the moment. Is there website that would have those maps that I could print off? Thanx for your time and trouble.
    Fred

3. renn says:

Dear Mr Flint,

I just finished reading 1632 and 1633. I read them together and enjoyed them very much. The story touches on so many things I enjoy. The social, political and technological challenges of transplanting a modern American community into the distant past are indeed compelling subjects; and you handled them deftly, elegantly and, indeed, thrillingly.

Your rich portfolio of characters includes people of diverse races, religions, ages, social classes and political philosophies. You include strong female characters and attack the question of feminism with delightful zeal. I’m a combat vet and a Naval aviator, so I greatly enjoyed your depiction of a nascent military finding its feet. Well done.

On the whole, I find you to be an immensely-talented story-teller.

Unfortunately, I can’t invest time reading any more in the series just to find out if even one hapless gay person managed to make it through the Ring of Fire. I suppose gay people like myself should just count themselves lucky that, for once, we were not represented by a pedophile or serial killer. Thanks, at least, for that much.

Kind Regards,

Renn

4. Mike says:

I like the entire series very much but I am having trouble finding a book that is listed in teh series. The book is listed as “1635: A Parcel of Rogues” written by Andrew Dennis. I can’t find it. Do you know where I can but this book? Last question is there going to be any more in the series?

5. Eric Flint says:

To Mike:

“Parcel of Rogues” hasn’t been finished yet, which is the reason you can’t find it. As for your second question, there will be a lot more books in the series. I have contracts for at least eight more novels in the series — it might be nine, I lose track — and two more anthologies.

6. Eric Flint says:

To Renn:

The reason there are no LGBT characters in the 1632 series so far — or appear not to be, rather; see below — is simply because no story thus far has seemed to me to have a clear reason for including one, and I’m reluctant — not adamantly opposed for ideological reasons, just reluctant for reasons of story-telling parsimony — to include one just for the sake of doing so. I would add, furthermore, that for all I know there _are_ LGBT characters in the series. The sexual orientation of most characters is left unspecified, after all.

If you’d like to look at novels of mine that do have LGBT characters, you can read TIME SPIKE or THE PHILOSOPHICAL STRANGLER. The second novel is comic fantasy, which might not be to your taste, but TIME SPIKE is directly related to the 1632 series and very similar in nature.

7. Jimmu says:

Mr. Flint,
    I bought everything of yours I could find in paperback and read and enjoyed them all. I lost my library (OK, many larges boxes of books in the closet) when I moved. I figured that I would take advantage of the Baen site to download the books I know I paid for at one time, and I am “donating” for titles I’m not sure about. Does this seem a fair compromise?
    Thanks for many hours of enjoyment,
    Jim

8. Joe says:

Avid audible costumer but can not find anything past 1633. Do you know if the series will continue on audible. Thanks

9. Pam says:

Will there be another book in The Witches of Karres series? I’d really like to see at least one more book to wrap up the series. We really must see the wedding of Captain Pausert and Goth!
    Many thanks for a truly enjoyable series.

10. Eric Flint says:

In answer to Joe, I don’t know. I’ll find out this weekend when I meet Jim Minz at Libertycon. He’s Baen’s chief editor and handles all audio stuff.

In answer to Pam, yes, there will be at least one more book in the Karres series.

Jimmu, don’t worry about it. Do whatever seems best to you. I simply don’t worry about stuff like that.

11. Ian says:

Portal, with Ryk Spoor.

I’ve just read version 1 as a beta reader. I’d buy the book as is.

I’m eager to see the published work, after your enhancements.

However, the title is completely misleading. After book 2 in the trilogy (hopefully tetralogy or better) to call this book Portal is most inappropriate.

I find myself unable to present a better name. But a spacetime portal is not present, and the preceding books lead one to expect just such a portal. Once it is said in the book that the Bemmies’ ships are FTL, then a physics answer is expected, not the break in the ice.

I will also post this on Ryk’s beta site.

I’m trying to keep away from dummy spitting on Toni’s Table, but if Portal stays the title I’ll have no choice. The title damages the franchise. It is inappropriate.

Regards

IanRC

• Eric Flint says:

I’m sorry you’re displeased with the title, but being blunt about it I think you’re being a tad obsessive. Here’s the dictionary definition of “portal”:

1. A doorway, entrance, or gate, especially one that is large and imposing.
      2. An entrance or a means of entrance: the local library, a portal of knowledge.

There are other definitions that apply specifically to the human circulatory system and the internet, but the two definitions above are the generally accepted ones. We used “portal” in the broad sense of an opening into another world and greater knowledge. All of which happens in this novel. Your notion that “portal” MUST include an FTL drive is…

Well, like I said, a tad obsessive.

As it happens, the further explorations of Bemmie sites in the solar system does lead to the discovery of an FTL drive. But Ryk and I — with the concurrence of Toni Weisskopf, Baen’s publisher — decided it would be more dramatically effective to end this story arc where it does, with the discovery of Bemmie descendants on Europa, and pick up two or three centuries later with stories that presuppose a period of FTL travel. We have a contract with Baen for two novels in that post-Boundary trilogy setting.

12. Kyle Thomas says:

Thank you for your alternate history series. They are simply a kick in the pants to read. On a deeper level your stories struck a chord socio-politically. I’m a past member of a major steel trades union. I was an average union member and I saw the need and benefit for organized labor. The world economy has changed but unions have not. Today companies outsource to India, and China to circumnavigate OSHA standards, EPA standards and American wages and labor laws. If a company does higher an American they make sure they are only on a Temp-status to prevent them from getting benefits.
    Do you see any path through our current global climate for a middle class working man or woman?
    I’ve been trying to visualize what a new international labor movement might look like. To be honest, I’m tired of the direction unions have gone. I washed my hands from my labor past and worked in Afghanistan and Iraq from 2006 to 2011 for the Defense Department. (I ran the welding and machining departments for the northern half of Afghanistan for a number of years.) I want to support a labor movement but they have become so radically left that I have a hard time supporting them because of my personal religious beliefs. Also, when my union had an opportunity at a long overdue wage increase they refused to fight for it. Equally I’m upset with the modern conservative movement’s belief that what is good for big corporations is good for Americans. These mega-corporations have more power than most countries. No one has them in check. I see us returning to serfdom. Do you recommend any books that deal with these topics?
    Have you considered doing an alternate series along the Ring of Fire idea but set in our future? Movements start with ideas and you are an amazing “idea guy.” Again, thank you for your books. Sincerely, K. Thomas

13. Sandy Kent says:

Just finished 1635: The Papal Stakes, but before reading it I reread every one of the books in the series starting with 1632, plus I have almost completely reread all the of the Grantville Gazette ezines. Just have to say I very much appreciate the series, both in the stories and the opportunities you have provided to readers to read new writers works in a familiar setting. To you and all your companion writers keep writing please, repeat please, the time between releases can sometimes seem exceedingly long. An excellent series! I do also lurk occasionally in the Baen Bar, but do not have the courage to commit to writing, I enjoy reading the works of others too much. Again many thanks Eric.

14. Stuart says:

Mr. Flint,

I enjoyed meeting you briefly at LibertyCon during the discussion about piracy – I am the one with the kids that pointed out the effect the music industry has had on parents. After meeting with you, I purchased my first Flint book in audio format and listened to it on my way home. I noticed that you do not have all the books available on Audio and wanted to make you aware of http://www.openbookaudio.com. They seem to do for audio books that which http://www.smashwords.com does for eBooks. I am not affiliated but prefer audio books for my long commutes. I would like to see more of your books made available in audio format.

Thank you for taking the time to answer novice questions.

• Eric Flint says:

I spoke to Baen’s editor, Jim Minz, at Libertycon on this very subject. Jim tells me that over the next year or so most Baen titles (including mine) will become available in audio.

15. larry leapley says:

I really enjoy the whole 1632 body of fiction and I am curious whether the serial, The Anaconda Project will be continued to its conclusion. The Wallenstein angle of the 1632 world, together with the English sub-plot with Cromwell and the McKay’s give me a bit of mental speculation exercise. 1632 is one of the best things I have enjoyed in years. To quote Oliver Twist, Can I have more.

16. Dan Bostic says:

Eric,

I am sorry to hear about the passing of Ms. Wentworth. Does this mean that the third book in the series is on hold or do you still have plans to finish it on your own or with a new collaborator?

Thanks

Dan (previously Tuckerized!)

17. Kris says:

Eric, I have a question: I just noticed that you have a character named Adrian Luff in both Time Spike and Torch of Freedom. It is completely trivial, but it isn’t a common name so I was just curious if it was a coincidence or part of the master plan to take over the world or such. :)

18. Russ Foster says:

Eric,

See http://twonerdyhistorygirls.blogspot.com/2012/08/what-18th-c-bridegroom-wore.html for a look at the wedding suit that Gustav III of Sweden wore in 1766.

Follow other links from http://twonerdyhistorygirls.blogspot.com/ for much more about the period (mostly in England).

Enjoy

19. tim gallagher says:

Hi. Just finished reading 1632 thru 1636: The Saxon Uprising. I haven’t found Kremlin Games yet (but I will) and Papal Stakes isn’t out yet. When will a sequel to The Saxon Uprising be out? There were a few loose ends….Thanks, TimG

20. andrea settis frugoni says:

kind eric flint,
    i write you from italy to ask you a courtesy.
    i wrote baen a letter about the possibility to adapt tom godwin’s cold equations (the short story, not the anthology) into a comic book (a 16 page story, in a comic book ongoing series, with some adjustments in order to fit in the series). it’s a try: i’m no professional comic book writer and i’m not sure it’ll be possible to sell the story to the comic book publisher i have in mind – i (with a friend of mine, who will provide the art) just like to adapt a story i liked a lot. i wrote to info@baen.com: could you please tell me if it’s the wrong address for asking something like that?
    thank you very much for your attention
    andrea sf

21. Chloe says:

Hi Mr Flint,

I’m currently reading the Belisarius series and I think it is possibly the most awesome thing I have ever read. I’m half way through Fortune’s Stroke right now. Just a quick message as I must go and read more!

Thank-you for this fantastic series!

22. Richard Christopher says:

FYI : Someone’s put up an alternate – and I suspect unauthorized – edition of 1812:Rivers of War on the Amazon Kindle store. Prices $0.99, ASIN: B008Y6AW7I.
    Cheeky I calls it.

23. Mark Earnest says:

I have always been fascinated with history and consider myself well read in the field, but nothing prepared me for the depth of perception that your work has added to my view. Is there any reasonable hope that we will see more of the “Rivers of War” series?

24. Bill says:

Mr. Flint,
    I am thoroughly enjoying your “163X” series! I’m trying to find them all in hardcover, though. Did “Grantville Gazette” ever come out in HC? What about “1635: The Tangled Web”? (I’ve found that one (Tangled) in trade paperback, which is acceptable….for now….)

Using your list to read them in more-or-less “timeline order”.

Thanks for all you’ve given us!

• Eric Flint says:

There are six hardcover volumes of the Grantville Gazette so far. The first four are direct one-to-one reissues of the first four issues of the magazine. Thereafter, the volumes are “best of” editions which reissue stories from half a dozen issues of the magazine.

Virginia DeMarce’s THE TANGLED WEB exists only in trade paperback, although there may eventually be a mass marlet paperback edition.

• Bill says:

I’ll keep searching, then. I’m bound to run across a hardcover copy of the very first “Grantville Gazette” before long (I hope). Maybe some upcoming anniversary or milestone could warrant the re-issue of it in hardback? Almost finished with “Baltic War” now; still thoroughly enjoying every word!

25. Ramona Larson Pekarek says:

I am your cousin, a descendant of Josephine’s sister Lily. Please contact me by email.

26. John Hobner says:

I really enjoyed Boundary & Threshold. Will there be a third book? It would be fscinating to see how they manage to get off of Europa!

27. Bryan says:

Is there any chance their will ever be another sequel to Course of Empire and Crucible of Empire featuring the further exploits of the Humans, Jao and Lliex?

28. Rod Leveridge says:

When are you and/or Dave Freer going to write a sequel to the Sorceress of Karres?

29. Rod Leveridge says:

I have read most of your works,including allthe ring of fire series.
    Keep up the good work.
    Rod Leveridge Toowoomba Qld QAustralia

30. Gabriel says:

I just finish reading the last book i was wondering if you were going to take it to the Ottomans in 1637 or 38 thanks love your work

31. James Johnson says:

I have to ask, will “The Grantville Gazette” ever be released in hardcover and when and will I be able to order/preorder a copy of my own???? Will I be able to preorder the upcoming books?
    Now that my greeds are out of the way I wish thank you for a very entertaining storyline, haven’t thes much reading enjoyment in decades.
    Many Thanks
    JJ

32. Lawrence H. Feldman says:

I thought I would give an update on what I am doing. Although still attracted to doing something for the 1632 series, I am buried in my non fiction account on the Escape of the Jews from Germany and unoccupied France through Spain and Portugal to the United States. At this point in time I have 317 pages that discuss, among other things, antecedents of the migration, the role of FDR and Franco and the German connection.

What I have found out is that between June 1940 and June 1942 more than 13,000 Jews took this route to the United States, traveling on Greek, Portuguese, Spanish, American and Japanese ships to the United States. Most of the movement was between June 1940 and January 1942 and involved Spanish, Portuguese, and American ships. Using especially the records of the passengers that arrived in New York and US State Department (both in the US National Archives but at different repositories), I have found more than 30 voyages taking emigrants to the New World.

Neither Franco nor FDR knew, at that time, why this emigration took place, other than the German government wanted to expel the Jews. The movement of a large percentage of these emigrants was directly from Germany to Spanish ports and Spanish ships to the New World. But the majority of Jews going to the New World came from unoccupied France and consisted, in order, of German Jews, Polish Jews, Russian Jews and French/Belgium Jews.

The movement of Jews directly from Germany, took place between November 1940 and October 1941 when it suddenly stopped. We now know, from German records, that Hitler considered a program of extermination in the summer of 1941 and began it on October 25 with the halting of the movement West. Implementation began in February 1942 and finally included the Jews in Un Occupied France in July 1942.

I had to stop research about four months ago in order to review the data collected so far and, separately, prepare for moving to another location. We, me and my wife, will transfer elsewhere in Baltimore county in March. After that I will return to my research. This means (1) collecting relevant data from five other New York newspapers of the (1940/1942) period. So far I have only looked at one. (2) look at other sources (e.g. the tombstone of my Grandfather who apparently made this voyage in 1940 and soon after died, books at the Library of Congress that may shed more light on FDR and Franco and their role in this emigration).

To summarize, I have a book manuscript that discusses this subject in detail but what I lack in more information on the role FDR and Franco in making it possible. In short already have a good book on what did happened and I need to know more on exactly on the roles of the principals in making it happen. I will keep you informed as I learn more.

Larry Feldman

33. Baker says:

Are you the individual that I saw on a website that was helping someone identify an old Janssen Fils Liege shotgun. I too have an old family Janssen shotgun and would like help in determing some information on it> Any help would be appreciated…I’ll send you photos of markings if needed. Thanks LB

34. Steve Hibbert says:

Hello all

I am trying to purchase The Tangled Web in Hard cover. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Steve

• I, too, would like to have The Tangled Web in hardcover, but short of having a copy of the trade paperback rebound, which I can’t afford, it seems unlikely that wish will ever be satisfied.

35. Gary says:

Posting of this comment or a reply to it is not requested/required. I just wish to tend my sincere thanks and appreciation to Mr. Flint for his efforts in providing free books that I would be otherwise unable to afford due to my disability. He has exposed me not only to his great abilities in writing but to others that I would not have known about otherwise. When you’ve had a life long addiction to reading books daily and suddenly can’t afford them, well, he has been a godsend for me. Thank you, Mr. Flint.

36. Lange Winckler says:

What about France?

INTRODUCTION:

I am a maritime historian. For the past 11-plus years, I’ve been the historian for Odyssey Marine Exploration. Now I’m writing books about shipwrecks. Ever since the 1632 series began, I’ve wanted to send a message about naval and maritime developments using England – but, it turns out, the best place to discuss is France. The overview given below is written from memory, so there may be a few minor factual discrepancies, but please don’t discount the whole thing because of them – “wrong in one, wrong in all” should not apply, thanks.

SO WHAT ABOUT ENGLAND?

In the 1600’s, France was England’s most determined adversary. But there was a major disconnection between the nations. France was a Continental power, while England was a developing maritime power. When the century began, England was Elizabeth’s country, the nation of Drake and Hawkins. It was a piratical state rather than a naval power, using mercantile authority (merchant ships armed with guns) rather than naval authority.

Under James I, England slowly began accreting naval strength. When he died, the Royal Navy was mainly made up of small coastal defense vessels, known as “whelps,” but James had started something big. He had offered a bounty to merchant shipping owners – money to make their vessels into warships that could be drafted in time of war if the ships were built large enough, and armed enough, to do battle with enemy forces. The armed merchantmen greatly outnumbered the Royal Navy ships, much the same as had been the case when the British faced the Armada of 1588. Many of these ships were built for the Levant Company. While this bounty died off in1626, it still produced such a large fleet of armed merchantmen, that in 1636 Sir Edmund Rowland was able to take a mixed gathering of navy and merchant ships into Sallee and destroy, for a time, the Algerine pirates.

(A note here about “England” versus “Great Britain:” The Act of Union of 1707 created Great Britain, joining the crowns of Wales, Britain and Scotland into one unified government. Later came Ireland. Thus “Great Britain” came into being in 1707 – and did not exist during the era of the 1632 stories.)

In the meantime, France was trying to compete for the India trade, and not doing so well. Louis XVIII was incompetent and focused mainly on continental Europe. When he died, his son Louis XVIII was a child under the regency of his mother (who he came to despise). France remained through the middle of the 17th century a land power.

BUT SHIPBUILDING WAS CHANGING

The Age of Exploration caused ship design to advance. While the Portuguese after Vasco da Gama had become quite interested in India and southeast Asia, their ship designs were still based on the “nao,” a 13th-century style of a fat, slow and somewhat weak merchant vessel. Over the following century, this stodgy ship would be the ruin of Portuguese colonial hopes in Asia.

However, the Spanish, using a Northern European ship design based upon the “carrack,” or an advanced version of the “cog,” sent its “galleons” over the Atlantic waves to North America and the entire American continent. Those sturdier vessels, at the time of the 1630’s, were strong, well-armed, and generally proof against the English, Dutch, and French ships sent out to capture them and their rich cargoes. (We can go on later about how this era saw the rise of pirates in the Caribbean – a wonderful tale.)

And the Spanish were nothing if not religious. Even ragged, starving and sick seamen aboard the galleons loved destroying the British “heretics” at sea. They did so with far more frequency than current literature describes. (Britain eventually won the sea wars, and wrote the history, conveniently ignoring the many, many victories of Spanish ships facing British pirates and privateers.) Many a captive British seaman was horribly killed as a “heretic.”

Over the century between Cortez’ reduction of Mexico City and the Ring of Fire, ship design changed significantly – but not in Spanish vessels. Those remained the heavy, fat, Spain’s single contribution to ship design in that century was the development, in the early 1600’s, of the “frigate, or “fregatta,” a Dunkirk-developed vessel of low line, narrow hull and moderate armament (about piercings of the hull for 20 guns). This was, however, a gift to the English.

England saw that ship and realized it was the perfect mid-line vessel. It was fast, easily used for communications between major ships and home or key ports such as Naples. It was a “threadneedle” ship that could enter battle, fire its cannon (the plural of “cannon” is “cannon”) and run away, or serve as the ship that carried commanders of defeated fleets to surrender to the victors.

In the meantime, England had also seen how to develop better ship designs. And so had the French. And during this period, the Spanish figured out their rivals were doing better, thus importing fine British ship builders to create their new vessels.

The British had a terrific foundation in shipbuilding. The country was not, initially, much of a maritime nation, despite its long history in exploration and navigation. England was mostly turned in on itself, for much of its early history. When the Romans invaded, the British tribes fought back ferociously, but didn’t create navies. When the Danes, Swedes, Norwegians and Saxons invaded, again the locals wielded some rather dramatic swords and arrows – but didn’t build ships. It was the ultimate domination of Saxon and Danish invaders that brought shipbuilding to Britain. And that was a significant contribution to the art of ship design, founded on the marvelous lines of Viking knorrs and longships.

Even in the 1200’s, British merchantmen were the lords of the sea lanes. The clinker-built vessels were flexible enough to keep afloat on the deep seas of the Atlantic, broad enough to trade with the hungry Venetians, and strong enough to survive the early winter hurricanes that blew up from the South. There is the wreck of a 13th century merchanter in Newport, Wales, raised from the muck of the river Usk. The “Issa,” as this ship has been lately named, gives good lines and details about post-Roman shipbuilding. There are many points traced back directly to the Vikings.

In the 1600’s, British shipbuilding made many changes from its historic patterns. The 1500’s had seen a development of stronger hulls intended to bear the weight and forces of cannon firing from mid-deck positions. In addition, because of the exploration of distant lands, ships from England had been beefed up – availability of deeper ports as opposed to shallow. Key developments in ship design included Continental anchorages meant that the English vessels drew deeper draughts, too. That turned out to be a significant problem during the English-Dutch trade wars of the 1600’s.

Key developments in ship designs included sail plans – the English adopted lateen sails for the mizzen, increasing maneuverability, plus a spritsail under the bowsprit. The English also developed sail plans for stormy weather that improved the survival of her vessels, and as a result of the second Dutch trade war created the concept of the “line of battle,” culminating in the classification of “ships of the line.” That meant rating ships pierced for 90 guns or more to be “first class” ships, while those of 80 guns or less were similarly rated as lower-class vessels. England ultimately had navies made mainly of “third-class” warships with 80 or fewer guns. And, as will be explained later, based largely on French ship designs.

Before 1705, the ship’s wheel made its appearance in new British warships.

That was an important development, but hardly the most significant of British advances in ship design. British shipwrights and naval architects (the term is modern, its use here is something of an anachronism but suitable for better communication) continually added to better ship design by learning from their mistakes. The 1600’s and 1700’s saw the English lead the world for the most part, and when the British discovered, as they did in the mid-1700’s, superior features in foreign ships, they gleefully adopted the improvements. And often the improvements were British-inspired, anyhow – both France and Spain enticed top British shipbuilders to take over their major naval yards during those centuries.

One of the great contributions of British ship builders in the 1600-1800 period was the evolution of stronger ship bracing. The lesson was learned at the price of blood. In the 1670’s, King Charles II took an active hand in the construction of naval ships dictated by an act of Parliament. These ships were the core of the Royal Navy during the later War of the League of Augsburg, mainly old but very powerful third-raters like HMS Cambridge, lost on the shores of Gibraltar in a storm on March 1, 1694 (New Style dating) In 1690, Parliament also ordered a batch of new ships for the Royal Navy, but then-King William III was not so interested in the navy as his predecessor, with disastrous results.

And although the development of better knowledge of nutrition spared the lives of hundreds of thousands of sailors – scurvy sometimes wiped out entire fleets – was mainly a product of the mid- to late-1700’s, there were experiments by Spanish, French, and British officers in the 1600’s that should have resulted in earlier adoption of improved sea diets.

Many factors led to British superiority at sea through the three centuries of the 1600-1900 period. Most significant of all were natural resources. Spain, for instance, was noted for its use of brass cannon rather than the less-costly iron employed by other northern European states. This was a consequence of materials and technique. Spain’s iron ore reserves were of an inferior quality to those found in Britain and Scandinavia (Danish-cast iron cannon, sometimes purchased and sometimes captured, were greatly prized in the 1600’s). Also, Spanish methods of making the charcoal used to heat foundry forges were inferior to those of other countries, so that the temperatures achieved were lesser. Cannon forging, ultimately, was also nation-building (who here knows about Krupp? Don’t all stand up at once)

In addition, while Baltic mines, forests, and flax fields remained the primary sources for masts, spars, timber, rope and pitch (then generally called “tar” ), England, France and Spain all drew increasingly on American sources of supply. The British made it a capital crime to harvest large trees in North America for any use other than the crown’s – only use of lumber from fallen trees was allowable. Some villages in colonial America seem to have suffered an epidemic of very stormy weather in which big trees were blown down.

WELL, THEN, WHEN DO WE TALK ABOUT FRANCE?

France, Britain’s long-standing adversary, was crippled by her focus on continental matters, inability to emerge from medieval social structures, and innate conservatism.

Given that France has a massive coastline, rivaled by few other nations, her inability to understand maritime strategy seems like utter stupidity. However, that’s an unfair perspective . France has an historical split identity.

When discussing Franco-British conflicts, a bit of overall history is useful. France was ultimately settled, during late Roman times, by German tribes. It’s one of the lovely ironies of history that the French are really Krauts. Today’s French simply bake lighter bread .

During the medieval era, France was split among numerous minor kingdoms, dutchies, and principalities. Charlemagne might have built a great early replacement of the Roman Empire, but as Alexander the Great’s death left an empire in pieces, so did Charlemagne’s. And from fratricidal rivalry came two primary “states,” not unified except by an overall sense of identity, named “France” and “Germany.” France in those early centuries, enjoyed what Germany did not – a greater identity as a successor to the territories unified by Roman rule, which more than half of the bits of the Germanies never suffered.

But France was not a unified country as known in the 2000’s. Aquitaine was an independent state, along with Navarre. Those two regions alone counted for a very, very large portion of today’s France. The Alsace-Lorraine region, that tortured in-between place, was also independent, even if under the eternal shadow of stronger areas.

Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine brought to England territory that was disputed regularly between the kings of France and England. From the 1200’s forward, France was a battleground. Even though Viking ancestors in 1055 crossed the Channel for the invasion that created modern England (“Normandy” is named for the “Northmen,” remember), it was the threat rather than reality of a cross-Channel invasion from France that drove British paranoia about its long-time foe.

In the 1300’s, there was a famous meeting between the King of France and the Holy Roman Emperor (the big cheese of most of the German-speaking territories). It was held at a “hotel” in Strassburg, which by the way still stands. There’s a brass plate on that building’s front wall, rebuilt after a German tank wrecked it during the capture of the city in World War II. Strassburg, or Strasbourg, is an important place in the history of the religious wars of the 1500-1600 period. It was a protestant stronghold – Calvinist, in fact – in the middle of a Catholic area. A statue in the city commemorates the Protestant forces who rode upriver to help the Calvinists in Geneva. And Strasbourg, by the way, is where both Gutenburg and the writer of “The Marsellaise” got their starts.

So what about France? You haven’t even begun to deal with it in your series.

• Eric Flint says:

Patience, patience, we’re getting to it. In fact, I just negotiated a contract with Baen for two 1632 series novels that deal with French developments.

• Lange Winckler says:

Can I help?

• Lange Winckler says:

ABOUT IRON CANNON IN THE 1630’S

This is a by-the-way addition …..

England forged ahead of Western European nations beginning in the 1620’s when a cannon foundry was developed that cast far superior weapons of iron. A combination of improved creation of and methods of employing charcoal, along with superior designs and use of high-quality ore brought about this achievement.

While not necessarily better than Scandinavian-forged weapons, these cannon were usually equal to them, cheaper to produce, and local.

At the same time, the British began developing better gunpowder. They didn’t do so without some difficulty, however. Use of bags of more finely-ground grains in standard charge sizes led to the explosion of weapons on British ships during battle with the Dutch. Later it was thought the bags had been substituted as a form of sabotage – not by the Dutch, but by a rival of the then-principal supplier of gunpowder to the royal arsenal.

Something most people of this time do not understand is how seriously personal advantage was used and sought in that era. The subject is extensive, with many examples of the corrosion this created in virtually all aspects of life. It offers a dynamic which might well serve as a sub-plot on other topics than Monsieur Gaston.

37. Austin Williamson says:

Hi Eric,
    Just picked up some of the 1632 books at my local library. I’m hooked. Well, I was already hooked from the 1632 freebie at Baen Free Library, but… The more I read, the more I like it! I’ve also introduced my brother to your works, and I think he’s also a lifelong fan.
    I’m a North American myself. I’ve greatly enjoyed the romp through 17-th century Europe, but I’d like to see a bit of North America through the 1632-lens. Are there plans afoot for volumes handling North America?
    – Austin

• Austin Williamson says:

Oh, never mind the question. According to Forthcoming:
      ● 1636: Drums Along the Mohawk, with Walter Hunt. This is another novel in the 1632 series and is set in North America. NOTE: “Drums Along the Mohawk” is just a working title. The book will be published under some other title.
      ● 1636: Commander Cantrell in the West Indies, with Chuck Gannon. This is another novel in the 1632 series and is set in North America. NOTE: “Commander Cantrell in the West Indies” is just a working title. The book will be published under some other title.

I’m lookin forward to reading the volumes when they’re released!

38. Barry says:

Hi Eric,
    I was in website looking for upcoming books when I saw that you are going to be in Greensboro in March for the convention. Will you have time and be willing to sign some books? Is there going to be an ‘official’ signing time and place or is it better to just schedule some time?
    Thanks (I haven’t been to one of these for a long long while!)

39. Mark says:

Will there be any more books in the Arkansas War?

• Austin Williamson says:

Yes. At least one more sequel is either planned or in the works for the “Rivers of War”/Rivers of Glory series.

40. Gregg Eshelman says:

I admire your editing and updating work on old books like James H. Schmitz Telzey & Trigger stories.

There’s another dead author who left behind some unpublished books, Warren Carl Norwood. He donated 53 boxes of papers and books to the University of North Texas. http://findingaids.library.unt.edu/?p=collections/findingaid&id=19&q=

Judging by the quality of his published work, the unpublished novels need to be polished up and published, even if only as ebooks.

P.S. Will the Baen Free Library see a resurgence or is it going to be allowed to whither away? At the least, a new Prime Palaver about its status would be appreciated.

41. Gabriel Xavier says:

Eric when will the next 163x book be out spring summer just let us know

42. Mike Patterson says:

I’ve read a lot of your collaborative works and I’m just starting to get into your solo works. My favorite author as a youngster was Robert Heinlein and I’ve always regretted that I never told him how much I appreciated his work while he was still with us, so I now make it a point to let authors know – thank you for your imagination and work!

To reiterate someone else here – is there any chance their will ever be another sequel to Course of Empire and Crucible of Empire featuring the further exploits of the Humans, Jao and Lliex?

43. Thomas-Peter Wiese says:

Dear Mr. Flint,

I have been reading your books now for quite some time. I thoroughly enjoyed the Belisarius and Tide of Time cycles and have joint the 1632 plot of with I have read about 70%.
    Recently I stumbled over The Coure of Empire and The Crucible of Empire.
    Read both book within 10 Day and found the plot intriguing and entertaining.
    Here is my question :
    Can one expect more books to come in this series? The publication of the two books is 7 years apart, but the storyline seems to hold a lot of potential.

2nd.
    I stated this question already to your colleague Mr. Dake but he could not help me but mentioned that the plot-outline was from you:

I have a question about the Dance of Time . In the second volume “In the Heard of darkness “(my all time favorite in this series) you explain that the reason for the existence of the crystals is the DNA plague, that made every protoplasmic live in the far future impossible. But on one of the first pages of The Dance of Time (where Aide is dying, there is the mention of a future where the crystals now a people; thanks to Aide, are having a future next to or with there protoplasmic ancestors.
    It is very much possible that I mixed things up, but I would appreciate any comment from you regarding these matters.

Sincerely

Thomas – Peter Wiese

44. craig rees says:

Dear Eric

Ive recently listened to your jao empire series of books which I really enjoyed I must add and noticed that you were in the process of writing a third called span of empires but due to the unfortunate passing of Mrs k. Wentworth there were some issues regarding the book as there was not a contract in place between you both. But is something you would like to do so were/are trying to come to a compromise with the late Kathy Wentworths husband who. Controls her estate on the matter. The last bit of information I can find on the matter is that. Are there any further developments in the matter or if it has been decided either way is there a planned release of the 3rd book or has it been totally cancelled.

Thanks for your wonderful 2 books so far in the series and I will continue to read some of you’re other works

45. Kinnison says:

Eric, I am a long-time fan of your writing and have virtually all of your books in hardcover. A number of years ago, just after “1634: The Bavarian Crisis” came out, I wrote you a quick email and explained that I had purchased three copies of it: One I had pre-ordered from Amazon, one at a bookstore, and yet another a year or so later after I realized I needed some of the information in it for context for the follow-on volumes in the series. (The third one is still on my bookshelves; I gave both original hardcover copies to friends without finishing the novel after I realized that my interest in the minutae of Church politics and the machinations of the minor German nobility in the mid-1600’s was boring me practically to death.) I recall reading something that either you or John Ringo wrote on the art of Science Fiction writing that said, in substance, that an author had a page to grab his readers, and that if he didn’t manage that and to hold their interest he had probably lost a reader. I like your stuff. I have been reading Science Fiction and alternative timeline fiction since about Piper’s “Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen”. What I don’t like is your collaborations with Virginia deMarce. I am sure that she is a really good Historian—I, like you, have a Masters in History—and a wonderful human being, but for my reading taste she is incredibly boring. Is it possible for you to write new volumes in the 1632 series solo or with some of the other authors you have teamed with rather than more with Ms. deMarce? I just injudiciously picked “1634: The Bavarian Crisis” off of the shelf as part of a reread of the entire series and fell into bored disinterest all over again. I made it all the way to page 40. Continuity or not, if you coauthor any more books with this lady, I will not be buying or reading them.

46. David Leuchtenberg says:

I cannot remember what book it was of the Ring of Fire Series, but due to you writing it and using my family name, I got into looking up my family’s past and I got it confirmed by my grandfather where my family tree goes back to the 1400’s.

47. teddy mcguire says:

will there be more of the time spike storyline? and how cool would it be if the grantville characters ran into some of the time spike characters whiling exploring in america? just a random thought but definitly want more in the time spike line

48. mike says:

Thank you for the books.

49. vikingted says:

Mr. Flint, I am kind of echoing larry leapley request from Aug 2012, is there going to be further episodes of the Anaconda series? I read the ones posted on GG last year, but I am wanting more! Are there any plans to turn this into a full book? I am excited that the snippets for The Devil’s Opera have started since that means another wonderful hard back will be coming out eventually, and probably near my birthday. That actually gives my kids or wife something to get me that I care about… no more silly ties. Thanks for your wonderful imagination and great number of hours reading you have given my son and I.

50. Hey guys, are u on cardsapp? thanks