Bibliography

(last updated on 3 April 2016)

STAND ALONE NOVELS
Mother of Demons, September 1997
Slow Train to Arcturus, October 2008 with Dave Freer
Mountain Magic, January 2006, an anthology including a new short novel,- “Diamonds Are Forever”, with Ryk Spoor; a reissue of Old Nathan, by David Drake; and a reissue of Henry Kuttner’s four “Hogben” stories.

THE ASSITI SHARDS (which includes the 1632 Series)
1632, February 2000
1636: The Ottoman Onslaught
, January, 2017
Ring of Fire, an anthology of stories set in the 1632 universe, January 2004
Ring of Fire II, an anthology of stories set in the 1632 universe, January 2008
Ring of Fire III, an anthology of stories set in the 1632 universe, July 2011
Ring of Fire IV, an anthology of stories set in the 1632 universe, May 2016
Grantville Gazette. There are so far seven volumes of the Gazette in paper editions. There are also 65 volumes in electronic edition. These are stories set in the 1632 series universe.
Time Spike, May 2008, with Marilyn Kosmatka. (This novel is part of the Assiti Shards setting but is only indirectly connected to the 1632 series.)

THE JOE’S WORLD SERIES
The Philosophical Strangler, May 2001
Forward the Mage, March 2002, with Richard Roach
A Desperate & Despicable Dwarf, (forthcoming, no date yet)
Sword on Canvas, (forthcoming, no date yet), with Richard Roach
The Thumbs of Eternity, (forthcoming, no date yet)

THE BELISARIUS SERIES
An Oblique Approach, March 1998, with David Drake
In the Heart of Darkness, August 1998, with David Drake
Destiny’s Shield, July 1999, with David Drake
Fortune’s Stroke, June 2000, with David Drake
The Tide of Victory, July 2001, with David Drake
The Dance of Time, February 2006, with David Drake
● “The Islands,” novella set in the Belisarius series, in Warmasters, an anthology, May 2002, with David Drake and David Weber
☼ The Belisarius series was reissued in an omnibus trilogy, with two novels in each volume:
Belisarius I: Thunder at Dawn, September 2008
Belisarius II: Storm at Noontide, March 2009
Belisarius III: The Flames of Sunset, August 2009
☼ ‘THE GENERAL’ Follow-on series:
The Tyrant, April 2002, with David Drake. This is the direct sequel to The Reformer, by David Drake and S.M. Stirling

THE JAO EMPIRE SERIES

The Shadow of the Lion, March 2002, with Mercedes Lackey & Dave Freer
This Rough Magic, November 2003, with Mercedes Lackey & Dave Freer
Much Fall of Blood, May 2010, with Mercedes Lackey & Dave Freer
Burdens of the Dead, June 2013, with Mercedes Lackey & Dave Freer
The Great Doom’s Image, (forthcoming, no date yet), with Mercedes Lackey
● All the Plagues of Hell. (forthcoming, no date yet), with Dave Freer
NOTE: There is also a solo novel by Dave Freer in this series, A Mankind Witch, which was published in July 2005. In terms of the chronology of the series, it comes between Shadow of the Lion and This Rough Magic.

THE KARRES SERIES
(sequels to James H. Schmitz’s The Witches of Karres)
The Wizard of Karres, August 2004, with Mercedes Lackey and Dave Freer
The Sorceress of Karres, January 2010, with Dave Freer

THE RATS, BATS & VATS SERIES
Rats, Bats & Vats, September 2000, with Dave Freer
The Rats, The Bats & The Ugly, September 2004, with Dave Freer
▪ “Genie Out of the Bottle,” with Dave Freer. This is a novella which appeared in Cosmic Tales II: Adventures in Far Futures (edited by T.K.F. Weisskopf). It’s the prequel to the two novels in the series.

THE PYRAMID SERIES
Pyramid Scheme, October 2001, with Dave Freer
Pyramid Power, August 2007, with Dave Freer

THE TRAIL OF GLORY SERIES
The Rivers of War, 2005. This was retitled 1812: The Rivers of War for the paperback edition.
1824: The Arkansas War, 2006
NOTE: A third novel in the series is under contract, but no publication date is yet known.

IN THE HONOR HARRINGTON UNIVERSE
▪ “From the Highlands”(short novel), in More than Honor #3: Changer of Worlds, March 2001, with David Weber
▪ “Fanatic,” (novella) in The Service of the Sword, the fourth Harrington anthology, April 2003, compiled by David Weber
Crown of Slaves, September 2003, with David Weber
Torch of Freedom, November 2009, with David Weber
Cauldron of Ghosts, April 2014, with David Weber

SHORT FICTION
▪ “Entropy and the Strangler,” (short story), in Writers of the Future Volume IX, edited by Dave Wolverton, September 1993
▪ “The Thief and the Roller Derby Queen,” (short story), in The Chick is in the Mail, edited by Ester Friesner, October 2000
▪ “Carthago Delenda Est,” (novella), in Foreign Legions, edited by David Drake, June 2001
▪ “The Truth About the Gotterdammerung,” (short story), in Turn the Other Chick, edited by Ester Friesner, November 2004
▪ “Red Fiddler,” with Dave Freer (short story), in Bedlam’s Edge, edited by Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghill, 2005
▪ “A Soldier’s Complaint,” (short story), in This is My Funniest 2, edited by Mike Resnick, 2007
▪ “Crawlspace,” with Dave Freer (novelette), in Jim Baen’s Universe, edited by Eric Flint, April 2007
▪ “The Realm of Words,” (novelette), in Jim Baen’s Universe, edited by Eric Flint, June 2007
▪ “The Witch’s Murder,” with Dave Freer (novelette), in The Dragon Done It, edited by Eric Flint and Mike Resnick, March 2008
▪ “Pirates of the Suara Sea,” with Dave Freer (short story), in Fast Ships, Black Sails, edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer, 2008
▪ “Conspiracies: A Very Condensed 937-Page Novel,” with Mike Resnick (short story), in Sideways in Crime, edited by Lou Anders, June 2008
▪ “The Flood Was Fixed,” (short story), in Something Magic This Way Comes, edited by Martin H. Greenberg and Sarah Hoyt, 2008
▪ “Operation Xibalba,” (novelette), in Multiverse: Exploring Poul Anderson’s Worlds, edited by Greg Bear and Gardner Dozois, April 2014
▪ “In the Matter of Savinkov” (novella) in The Aethers of Mars, May 2014
▪ “Sanctuary” (short novel) in By Tooth and Claw, edited by Bill Fawcett, April 2015.
▪ “A Flat Affect” (short story) in Onward, Drake!, edited by Mark L. Van Name, October 2015
▪ “Up on the Roof” (novella) in Black Tide Rising, edited by John Ringo and Gary Poole, June 2016

AS EDITOR
The World Turned Upside Down, January 2005, with David Drake and Jim Baen.
The Best of Jim Baen’s Universe, July 2007
The Best of Jim Baen’s Universe II, with Mike Resnick, July 2008
The Dragon Done It, with Mike Resnick, March 2008
☼ CHRISTOPHER ANVIL: (complete works in eight volumes)
Pandora’s Legions, February 2002
Earthblood & Other Stories, January 2008
The Universe Twister, October 2008
☼ MURRY LEINSTER:
Med Ship: The Complete Stories, August 2002, with Guy Gordon
Planets of Adventure, October 2003, with Guy Gordon
A Logic Named Joe & Other Stories, June 2005, with Guy Gordon
☼ HOWARD L. MYERS (complete works in two volumes)
The Creatures of Man, May 2003, with Guy Gordon
A Sense of Infinity, July 2009, with Guy Gordon
☼ JAMES H. SCHMITZ (complete works in seven volumes)
Telzey Amberdon, April 2000, with Guy Gordon
TnT: Telzey & Trigger Together, July 2000, with Guy Gordon
Trigger & Friends, January 2001, with Guy Gordon
The Hub: Dangerous Territory, April 2001, with Guy Gordon
Agent of Vega & Other Stories, November 2001, with Guy Gordon
The Eternal Frontier, September 2002
The Witches of Karres, July 2004
☼ A. E. VAN VOGT:
Transgalactic, October 2006, with David Drake

60 Responses to Bibliography

1. Hi, Eric!

Looking at the above, I noticed “THE GEORGE WASHINGTON series

Into the Hinterlands (no date), with David Drake, plus 3 more stories”

What is this? Straight historical novels, alternate history a la “1812: The Rivers of War,” sf, or something else?

And how’s “1826: The Arkansas War” coming?

2. Eric Flint says:

The George Washington series I’ll be doing with Dave Drake is straight science fiction, set in the far future, using the life of Washington and the events of the American revolution as what you might call the plot template. It’s roughly equivalent to the General series that Dave did with Steve Stirling, except using Washington and the American revolution as the model rather than Belisarius and Justinian’s war to reconquer the western Roman Empire.

3. fabartus says:

Ooopsie???

These (quoted phrases) don’t seem to go together too well:

“set in the far future”,

… using the life of Washington {SNIP,…, SNIP} Justinian’s war…

” to reconquer the western Roman Empire.”

Isn’t this an Assiti Shards event triggered series, so the setting is 3rd or 4th Century A.D.; That makes it an Assiti Shards Multiverse?

4. webmaster says:

No, look, there are TWO George Washington novels. 1776 (or whatever it ends up being called) is proposed Washington Assiti shards novel. The other, being written with Drake has NOTHING to do with the shards, it’s a straight SF novel, set in the far future with a character BASED on Washington, not washington himself. And the military campaigns in that novel are BASED on Washington’s campaigns in the American revolution the same way that in “The General” which was straight sf based in the Far Future they used Belasarius’ campaigns to reconquer the western Roman Empire.

Don’t confuse The General with the Belasarius alternate history series… they have nothing to do with each other, even as THESE TWO Washington novels have nothing to do with each other.

— Loyal Minions

5. DEb says:

Will there be a sequel to Boudary?

6. webmaster says:

yes. Under contract, and Ryk is already at work on the first draft
    — Loyal Minions

7. bluebell says:

Hi,

I came upon your Joe’s World series in Baen Library. I found it very funny and thought provoking. Hope you follow it up with more books soon.

8.         I see The Course of Empire listed as a solo novel.  I thought Baen had signed Eric and K. D. for a sequel or two.

9. Mike Lomsky says:

Love the new website design. I think it’s a vast improvement over the old one.

10. butterfly says:

Will you ever write any other books in the Mother of Demons setting? I really liked that book, I read it a few years ago for the first time, I re-read it every 6 months or so, and enjoy it more every time.

11. A.C. Sutton-Brown says:

Dear Mr Flint,
    I’ve been reading the sample chapters of, 1634 the Bavarian Crisis. I love what I’ve read so far. I tryed to use my public library’s website to request the book. But, it apparently isn’t out yet and they don’t have it on the list. I was wondering, when will it be out? I really want to finish reading the book.

12. Alex says:

A. C. – Amazon shows the release date as October, so it’ll probably be out in late September.
    FYI, ISBN-10: 1416542531 & ISBN-13: 978-1416542537

I will update the list above.

— Another Loyal Minion

13. mike scott says:

Eric, I had started reading one of your books on-line at the Bean web site, it had ghost in the title and was about a ex army ranger and a group of busty women. As things seem to go I was half way thourgh and my computer broke. Three weeks later I get it back but the link is gone, I
    have been looking for the correct site for two days with no luck. Any help would be appricated.

14. danmontague says:

Any plans for a sequel to “1824: The Arkansas War”, following-up the Confederation after its defeat of the US invasion up the Arkansas River?

15. Rob Lewis says:

Hello,
    Will There be any plans to re-issue the first two Belisarius books in Hard Cover?

regards, ROB LEWIS

16. Kirsten Ioos says:

Just a comment for Mike Scott (question #13) – perhaps he is thinking of the John Ringo book “Ghost”? I have included a link to it ( http://www.webscription.net/chapters/1416509054/1416509054.htm?blurb ) I don’t believe Eric Flint has any books that match the description provided, but Ghost is the first book in an entertaining series written around a former SEAL.

Hope this helps,

Kirsten

17. Barbara says:

Are any of the next 1632-verse novels planning to run into the family of Elizabeth Stuart "The Winter Queen"? I've just finished a biography, and some of her children (notably Prince Rupert of the Rhine, but others as well) appear to have been intelligent and interesting people whose potential talents were wasted in their own histories. Since the Bavarian Incident book rescued some of the best young Hapsburgs, and we expect young Princess Christina to have an interesting and different future, what could be done with them?

I have to re-read everything again to be sure I didn't miss any references, but thought I'd ask here…

Barbara

18. Dennis says:

I am really enjoying the 1632 series. Every now and then a question crosses my mind: What happened to the Germans who I assume ended up in West Virginia? Not really sure there’s a good story there, just a random thought.

19. Mike says:

Just wanted to say thanks.

Your work is truly appreciated.

20. Mike from UK says:

I’ve just finished reading 1632 and liked it so much that I’ve decided to pursue the series. As I write this I have just started 1633, an I assumed that I would be following the series in year order. You can imagine my confusion when I saw 4 1634 titles. What order should they be read in to maintain a consistent story line?

21. Rick Boatright says:

Eric’s reccomendation is that the books be read in their order of publication.

* 1 1632 (2000) by Eric Flint
    * 2 1633 (2002) by David Weber and Eric Flint
    * 2a The Grantville Gazette (Vol 1)
    * 2b Ring of Fire (2004)
    * 3 1634: The Galileo Affair (2004) by Eric Flint and Andrew Dennis
    * 3a The Grantville Gazette (Vol 2)
    * 3b The Grantville Gazette (Vol 3)
    * 3c The Grantville Gazette (Vol 4)
    * 4 1634: The Ram Rebellion (2006) by Virginia DeMarce and Eric Flint
    * 5 1635: The Cannon Law (2006) by Eric Flint and Andrew Dennis
    * 6 1634: The Baltic War (2007) by David Weber and Eric Flint
    * 7 1634: The Bavarian Crisis (2007) by Eric Flint and Virginia DeMarce
    * 8 1635: The Dreeson Incident (2008) by Eric Flint and Virginia DeMarce

The short-fiction anthologies are “optional” — and can be skipped, although I find them wonderful.

Rick Boatright

22. Mike from UK says:

Back from holidays where I finished 1633 to find this helpful listing-thankyou!

I think I am going to skip the gazette anthologies unless I stumble across them somewhere.

But I am still puzzled over the apparent contradiction in the year order for the titles. Perhaps it will become clearer when I actually read them. I have just started the galileo affair, and it looks promising!

23. Rick Boatright says:

Because there are now several ‘threads’ of the story, it makes more sense to read the ‘italian’ thread before jumping back chronologically and reading the ‘northern europe’ thread. this will become -worse- when we get to the eastern front soon. but since, for reasons having to do with the manuscript being done, the italian books were published first, having their content in your mind makes the northern europe books make more sense.

Thus, “Read in order of publication.”

24. Lee says:

RE: The Rivers of War…So we are now about 5 months from the 3 year anniversary of the publication of1824-The Arkansas War, is there any chance we will see what will happen to the Confederation? I’ve grown quite attached to some of the chracters in the books.

25. Drak Bibliophile says:

Lee, Eric’s schedule is so full that nobody knows when he’ll be able to write the sequel to _1824 The Arkansas War_. He still plans to revisit that world however.

26. John Ross says:

How about a sequel to ” Mother Of Demons “?
    I have just finished re-reading it, (again) and still love the premous of it and the setting.
    (Have also hi-jacked some of the elements of the gukuy into a Starfire Game)
    I think it would be interesting to follow the ummuns and their gukuy friends against the terrible hordes of the utukuand the others that would stand against progress.

27. Stephen Regan says:

Re: Comment 19 Sad story. The unfortunate Germans were rounded up by George III’s secret police, shipped to an ultra top secret prison in Antartica and “iceboarded”. There were no survivors.

28. Ken says:

I know it has been addressed above, but I wanted to add my voice to the chorus of those who also greatly enjoyed the first two volumes of the “Trail of Glory” series. I know it is not on the docket at the moment, but I sure do hope a sequel to “1824: Arkansas War” is forthcoming some time soon. I can’t wait to see how it ends…. or should I say…. continues.

29. SaJe says:

I just worked out a reading order for the Ring of Fire/Assiti Shards/1632verse based on publication dates up to now. Everybody feel free to post this wherever you think it might be useful.

Title Pub Date
    33 Grantville Gazette 23 May 1, 2009
    34 Grantville Gazette 24 Jul 1, 2009
    35 Grantville Gazette 25 Sep 1, 2009
    36 Grantville Gazette 26 Nov 1, 2009
    37 1635: Tangled Web Dec 1, 2009

30. David says:

Please write more THE TRAIL OF GLORY books, I love the first two and please write many sequels to THE MOTHER OF DEMOMS.

AND if you can get permission from the estate I would love to see some Telzey Amberdon books from you. That story was cut much too short. Assuming you would be interested in writing about the character. I think you could do it justice.

31. Donovan says:

Another vote for more in the TRAIL OF GLORY series….while I enjoy and purchase your other work…these are an impressive take on history…at least one more please.

32. Steve Perrin says:

I came to this website looking for more information on the Trail of Glory series and am sorry to see nothing coming up anytime soon. I take it that this is a series that Eric wants to keep to himself? Since it is so thoroughly tied into the historical timeline we are familiar with, I imagine it would take a real aficianando of the period to be able to do anything that would even come close to matching Eric’s standard.
    So I suppose this is just a fan’s assurance that I will certainly pick up the book when it does surface. Just hurry it up a bit, I’m 64 and have already outlived entirely too many of my fellow Flint fans…

33. James Towe says:

Hi just adding to the list of others wishing more on the Trail of Glory series. I’d be curious how it also impact events in texas and mexico.

thanks for may intelligent and enjoyable books
    james towe

34. Hey, like what you are doing, in particular the alternate history stuff, though you other material is not exactly underpar, if you know what I mean. Keep up the great work, and I’ll be looking foward to more in the Trail of Glory series. Those really brought my Chocktaw and Scotts ancestery to life for me… I can see my forefathers (and mothers) getting involved with what is going on. It’s sparked a renewed interest in the real world timeline for me.

35. will there be another in the timespike series????

36. Tom Hayakawa says:

Long-time listener, first-time caller. The Hell’s Gate book seem to want for another book or two. Will you be writing these with Linda Evans anytime soon?

37. Arline Abdalian says:

Eric, I am a huge fan, especially of 1632 and the Trail of Glory series. Please let me know when you publish the next book in the 1812/1824 series. I can’t wait! And keep up the great writing. P.S. You write better alone. Ditch the co-authors….

38. Tina More says:

I keep re reading the Mother of Demons and each time I check to see if you’ve decided to expand on that story… each time I’m disappointed I was unable to find anything. Please consider a sequel. Thank you.

39. Lisa says:

Hi there. FYI you have a number of fans in New Zealand. I have been reading your books for the last two years; and as you are so prolific I still have a number to read, which is all the better. Having just today found your website, I too second the commment made earlier about the Hells Gate books with Linda Evans. I found them thoroughly engrossing. For some reason I thought the delay between the first two books was due to Ms Evans’ ill health. I hope that that is not the case, but if it is, then my sympathy and best wishes for her continued wellbeing. Thanks very much for many hours of terrific reading. :)

40. Bobby says:

This isn’t really a comment but I was wondering if there is going to be a third book in the Jao series. That is so far my favorite series that you wrote, but Pyramid Scheme, and Rats, Bats, and Vats, are right up there.

41. gene says:

Yeah, what Bobby said, while I love the 1632 universe (except the Virginia DeMarce ones) I really love the Jao books. The second one “The Crucible of Empire” is even better then the first one. Alien species that are actually alien but still compelling. Few writers can pull that off.
    I really hope there will be a third book in the series soon.

One question though, what about the other, more technologically primitive races the Jao have enslaved? what’s the human attitude about that?

42. B. H. giza says:

Love reading your stuff, but I am a space opera fan, not alternate history…so Crown of Slaves, Torch of Freedom, and the Jao series are my favorites. I also fell in love with Time Spike, as I preferred its distant past setting to the other Assiti Shards books. time Spike seems perfect for a set of sequels – let me put in a vote for developing it into a ‘world’ of its own. And please keep up the good work (with more space opera if you are so inclined). best wishes, B. H. Giza

43. H. Barnes says:

Wuld like to see a publication date for Burdens of the Dead or any of the Heirs of
    Alexandra been waiting awhile for it. Really enjoy your writing,

44. chips says:

im write from poland and im very disapionted that in poland we have only 2 part of yor nowel im mean 1632 and 1633 – it so stupid that in XXI ceuntry we cant read in polish your book
    BIG FAN

45. Wendell says:

Thank you for the pleasure that your writing gives to me. You will be happy to note that I place you among my favorite writers including David Drake, David Weber, and Keith Laumer. Like them, you have a strange and wonderful sense of humor which appears to keep you from taking yourself to seriously in your stories, always a twinkle of humor can be expected around each corner. Thanks again, and may God bless you and yours. WAB

46. David says:

I loved your two novels, 1812 and 1824. Will you be doing a follow up any time soon? I have been hooked on you, David Weber and John Ringo for a bit. Thanks for your research, imagination and skillful output.

47. George Klepper says:

Yesterday I downloaded 1632 from Audible. If this were a book I would not be able to put it down. Luckily I am on vacation and will be able to do some marathon listening sessions in order to finish it. Thank you for some fiction that puts forth some progressive ideas.

48. Paul L. Quandt says:

Hi:

Re-reading the 1632 series and noticed that England gave the French all of their New World holdings. Are there plans to explore what would have happened if there had not been English colonies? I think that would be a fun side trip.

Paul

49. Dave Haren says:

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the Free Library.

I have plenty of books but the breath of sanity into the endless debates on the way technology impacts the traditional are a welcome change
    from the squeals of terror over it.
    The Macauley speeches look like prophecies fulfilled around here lately. Like Heinlein I believe firmly in the common sense of the neighbors,
    which means eventually we will see the mess straightened out.
    Good books get recommended to others, yours are now being recommended by me.

Warm Regards
    Dave Haren

50. Eric Flint says:

In answer to Paul:

There are several volumes in the works that will begin dealing with the New World. I’m doing a novel with Walter Hunt set in North America and one with Chuck Gannon set in the Caribbean. I don’t have final titles for them yet. The working title for the first is 1636: DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK and the working title for the other is 1636: COMMANDER CANTRELL IN THE WEST INDIES. The novel I’m doing with Chuck will pick up with some established characters like Eddie Cantrell. The novel I’m doing with Walter works with mostly brand new characters.

In addition, Iver Cooper has finished a volume of short fiction set in the New World titled 1636: THE SEAS OF FORTUNE. Half of the stories involve the Japanese settling on the West Coast and the other half involve adventures in NE South America (the area sometimes known as the Guianas). The manuscript has been turned in to Baen but no release date has been set yet.