Chronological Bibliography

NOTE: For those of you who prefer your bibliographys chronologically, here it is. This page does not include the classic SF series I’ve edited. — Eric Flint.

(last updated on 3 April 2016)

1970
Trade and Politics in Barotseland During the Kololo Period, 1970 Journal of African History (Volume XI:1)

1993
Entropy and the Strangler, (short story), in Writers of the Future Volume IX

1997
Mother of Demons, September 1997 (pb)

1998
An Oblique Approach, March 1998 (pb) with David Drake
In the Heart of Darkness, August 1998 (pb) with David Drake

1999
Destiny’s Shield, July 1999 (HC) with David Drake

2000
1632, February 2000 (HC)
Destiny’s Shield, June 2000 (pb)
Fortune’s Stroke, June 2000 (HC) with David Drake
Rats, Bats & Vats, September 2000 (HC) with Dave Freer
The Thief and the Roller Derby Queen, (short story), in The Chick is in the Mail, edited by Ester Friesner, October 2000, (pb)

2001
1632 February 2001 (pb)
From the Highlands, (short novel), in More than Honor #3: Changer of Worlds with David Weber March 2001 (HC)
The Philosophical Strangler, May 2001 (HC)
Carthago Delenda Est, (novella), in Foreign Legions, edited by David Drake, June 2001, (HC)
Fortune’s Stroke, July 2001 (pb)
The Tide of Victory, July 2001 (HC), October 2002 (pb) with David Drake
Rats, Bats & Vats, September 2001 (pb)
Pyramid Scheme, October 2001 (HC), with David Freer

2002
From the Highlands, (short novel), in More than Honor #3: Changer of Worlds February 2002 (pb)
The Philosophical Strangler, March 2002, (pb)
Forward the Mage, March 2002 (HC) with Richard Roach
The Shadow of the Lion, March 2002 (HC) with Mercedes Lackey & Dave Freer
The Tyrant, April 2002 (HC) with David Drake
The Islands in Warmasters, an anthology, May 2002 (HC) with David Drake and David Weber
1633, August 2002 (HC), with David Weber
▪ “Carthago Delenda Est,” (novella), in Foreign Legions, September 2002 (pb)
The Tide of Victory, October 2002 (pb) with David Drake

2003
Pyramid Scheme, February 2003 (pb), with David Freer
▪ “Fanatic,” (novella) in The Service of the Sword, the fourth Harrington anthology, April 2003 (HC), compiled by David Weber
1633, July 2003 (pb)
Forward the Mage, August 2003, (pb)
The Course of Empire, September 2003 (HC), with K. D. Wentworth
Crown of Slaves, with David Weber, September 2003 (HC)
The Shadow of the Lion, Sept 2003 (pb)
The Tyrant, September 2003 (pb)
This Rough Magic, November 2003 (HC) with Mercedes Lackey & Dave Freer

2004
Ring of Fire, Editor; (Includes “The Wallenstein Gambit” – short novel), January 2004 (HC)
▪ “The Islands” in Warmasters, February 2004 (pb)
1634: The Galileo Affair, April 2004 (HC), with Andrew Dennis
▪ “Fanatic,” (novella) in The Service of the Sword, June 2004 (PB)
The Wizard of Karres, August 2004 (HC), with Mercedes Lackey and Dave Freer (sequel to James Schmidt’s The Witches of Karres.)
The Rats, The Bats, & The Ugly, September 2004 (HC) with Dave Freer
Mountain Magic, October 2004 (pb)
Grantville Gazette Volume 3, October 2004 (Webscriptions edition)
▪ “The Truth about the Gotterdammerung,”(short story), in Turn the Other Chick, edited by Ester Friesner, November 2004, (HC)
Grantville Gazette Volume 1 – November 2004 (pb)

2005
▪ “Genie Out of the Bottle,” (novella) in Cosmic Tales of Adventure II, (Jan 2005)
Ring of Fire, Jan 2005 (PB)
The World Turned Upside Down, January 2005 (HC), twenty-nine stories, with David Drake, Jim Baen, and others.
Mother of Demons, February 2005 (pb Reissue)
The Course of Empire, March 2005 (pb)
Crown of Slaves, April 2005 (pb)
Grantville Gazette Volume 4, April 2005 (Webscriptions edition)
This Rough Magic, June 2005 (pb)
1812: Rivers of War, April 2005 (HC)
Grantville Gazette Volume 5, August 2005 (Webscriptions edition)
1634: The Galileo Affair, August 2005 (pb)

2006
The Wizard of Karres, Jan 2006 (pb)
The Dance of Time, Feb 2006 (HC) with David Drake
▪ “The Truth about the Gotterdammerung,” (short story), in Turn the Other Chick, Feb 2006 (PB)
Boundary, March 2006 (HC), with Ryk Spoor
Grantville Gazette Volume 6, March 2006 (Webscriptions edition)
Grantville Gazette Volume 2 , March 2006 (HC)
Grantville Gazette Volume 7, April 2006 (Webscriptions edition – e-arc)
1634: The Ram Rebellion, May 2006 (HC) with Virginia DeMarce and others
The World Turned Upside Down, May 2006 (pb)
The Rats, The Bats, & The Ugly, July 2006 (pb)
1635: Cannon Law with Andrew Dennis, September 2006 (HC)
1812: Rivers of War, October 2006 (pb)
1824: The Arkansas War, November 2006 (HC)
Grantville Gazette Volume 3, Dec 2006 (HC)

2007
The Long Twilight by Keith Laumer, edited by Eric Flint (HC Feb 2007)
1634: The Baltic War by David Weber and Eric Flint (PB May 2007)
The Dance of Time (Belisarius)
The Best of Jim Baen’s Universe, edited by Eric Flint (HC July 2007)
The Dance of Time by Dave Drake and Eric Flint (PB July 2007)
Pyramid Power by Eric Flint and David Freer (PB August 2007)
Grantville Gazette II (The Assiti Shards) (MMP Oct 30, 2007)
1634: The Bavarian Crisis by Eric Flint and Virginia DeMarce (HC October 2007)
1634: The Ram Rebellion by Eric Flint and Virginia DeMarce (PB Dec 2007)

2008
Boundary by Eric Flint and Ryk E. SpoorMass Market Paperback (Jan 29, 2008)
The Dragon Done It by Eric Flint and Mike Resnick (Hardcover – Mar 4, 2008)
1635: Cannon Law (The Assiti Shards) by Eric Flint and Andrew Dennis (Mass Market Paperback- April 1, 2008)
Time Spike by Eric Flint and Marilyn Kosmatka (Hardcover – May 6, 2008)
Grantville Gazette III (The Ring of Fire) by Eric Flint (Mass Market Paperback – May 20, 2008)
The Best of Jim Baen’s Universe by Eric Flint (Mass Market Paperback – May 20, 2008)
Grantville Gazette IV (Ring of Fire) by Eric Flint (Hardcover – Jun 3, 2008)
Sideways In Crime by Lou Anders (Paperback – Jun 17, 2008)
The Best of Jim Baen’s Universe II by Eric Flint (Paperback – Jul 1, 2008)
Belisarius I: Thunder at Dawn (Belisarius Series) by Eric Flint and David Drake (Hardcover – Sep 2, 2008)
The Universe Twister by Keith Laumer and Eric Flint (Mass Market Paperback – Sep 30, 2008)
Earthblood & Other Stories
Pyramid Power (Pyramid Series) by Eric Flint and Dave FreerMass Market Paperback – Sep 30, 2008)
Slow Train to Arcturus by Eric Flint and Dave FreerHardcover – Oct 7, 2008)
The Trouble with Aliens (Complete Christopher Anvil) by Christopher Anvil and Eric FlintMass Market Paperback – Oct 28, 2008)
1634: The Baltic War (The Ring of Fire) by David Weber and Eric FlintMass Market Paperback – Oct 28, 2008)
War Games (Complete Christopher Anvil) by Christopher Anvil and Eric FlintHardcover – Dec 2, 2008)
1635: The Dreeson Incident (The Ring of Fire) by Eric Flint and Virginia DeMarceHardcover – Dec 2, 2008)
▪ “Pirates of the Sura Sea” – Story with Dave Freer in Fast Ships – Black Sails edited by Jeff Vandermeer (Trade paperback 2008)

2009
Ring of Fire II by Eric FlintMass Market Paperback – Jan 27, 2009)
Worlds by Eric FlintHardcover – Feb 3, 2009)
Prescription for Chaos – Christopher Anvil (HC Feb 2009)
Belisarius II: Storm at Noontide by Eric Flint and David DrakePaperback – Mar 3, 2009)
1634: The Bavarian Crisis by Eric Flint and Virginia DeMarceMass Market Paperback – Jun 30, 2009)
A Sense of Infinity, July 2009, with Guy Gordon
Grantville Gazette V by Eric FlintHardcover – Aug 11, 2009)
Belisarius III: The Flames of Sunset by Eric Flint and David DrakeHardcover – Aug 11, 2009)
Torch of Freedom, November 2009,with David Weber

Burdens of the Dead, June 2013, with Mercedes Lackey and Dave Freer
1636: The Devil’s Opera, October 2013, with David Carrico

2014
Cauldron of Ghosts, April 2014, with David Weber
1636: Commander Cantrell in the West Indies, June 2014, with Charles E. Gannon
1636: The Viennese Waltz, November 2014, with Paula Goodlett and Gorg Huff
▪”Operation Xibalba,” (novelette), in Multiverse: Exploring Poul Anderson’s Worlds, edited by Greg Bear and Gardner Dozois, April 2014
▪ “In the Matter of Savinkov,” in The Aethers of Mars, May 2014.

2015
Castaway Planet, February 2015, with Ryk E. Spoor
▪“An Aukward Situation,” in Grantville Gazette VII, April 2015
▪“A Cardinal Relief,” in Grantville Gazette VII, April 2015
▪ “Sanctuary,” (short novel), in By Tooth and Claw, April 2015
Grantville Gazette VII, April 2015
1636: The Cardinal Virtues, July 2015, with Walter H. Hunt
▪ “A Flat Affect” (short story) in Onward, Drake!, edited by Mark L. Van Name, October 2015

2016
1635: A Parcel of Rogues, January 2016, with Andrew Dennis
▪“Scarface” (short novel), in Ring of Fire IV, May 2016
▪ “Up on the Roof” (novella) in Black Tide Rising, edited by John Ringo and Gary Poole, June 2016
The Span of Empire, September 2016, with David Carrico
Castaway Odyssey, October 2016, with Ryk Spoor

2017
1636: The Ottoman Onslaught, January 2017

77 Responses to Chronological Bibliography

1. Linda Unruh says:

I love your 1632 series and am looking for them on mp3/ipod format. I found it once and lost a site that had some of your works for download. Can you tell me where I might find this? I appreciate the stories you’ve done without collaberating most. I found the David Weber books much more technical and your books more socially and historically oriented. As a woman, guess I’m more interested in the political, social and historical aspects of your stories and less in the aspects of building a navy, air force, etc.

Thank you for starting this series and keeping it going!

Linda Unruh

2. Roman Kordonsky says:

I love your The Assiti Shards series. And I would like to introduse the series to my countrymen in Belarus. I wrote to you several times asking for a permission for translation 1632 to Belarusian language. However I did not get any reply. I hope to get any kind of response, hopefully positive one because I have translated good chank of the book.

3. Paula Thompson says:

I really like your 1632, 1633, 1635, etc books. I have always been a fan of alternate history and as a West Virginia resident (near Morgantown) I fine these books totally engrossing. One question (among many) — When are the rest scheduled? I normally buy at Amazon.com as soon as they are announced, that way they are shipped immediately.

4. Michael Michalski says:

dear mr. flint,
    i love your 1632 series. it is next the lost regiment series the best book serie who would ever writte. but would your 1632 series translated into german?

5. Paul L. Quandt says:

Eric:
    Are you going to write more about “Mother of Demons?” I hope so.

Thanks,
    Paul

6. Alan Smith says:

One of the problems with finding your Assiti Shards books to reread in the library is that some are classified under science fiction, others under fantasy, and others in regular fiction. Is there anyway that you could put the appropriate thing on title pages of future books to have them all in the same section?

7. Just wanted to join the throng that can’t say enough about the Belisarius Series. Historical fiction with a serious twist was refreshing and very interesting. I love messing with time! I thought that you (and Dave) were extremely true to the characters that you created and did a masterful job connecting all the works together. Another thing that I really appreciated was that you didn’t paint a rosy picture where everyone lived and life was GREAT at the end, but you also were not afraid to give the reader the happy ending that they needed after getting to know the characters so well. I must credit Baen’s online free library getting me started on the series and also for helping me purchase the last 3. I read most of the books in 3 days. Excellent job!!!!

8. Greg Goode says:

Is there any chance you (&Freer &Lackey) will ever do further “Karres” novels? Great work, I look forward to Goth getting older and Pausert dealing with it.

9. Margaret says:

I loved “The Course of Empire. Will you be writing a sequel? I hope so, if ever a book cried out for a sequel, it’s the one.

Thank you.

10. Eric says:

In answer to Comment 8, Dave Freer and I will be writing a sequel to THE WIZARD OF KARRES. Mercedes Lackey won’t be a co-author on this one. (That’s not due to any problems, it’s simply that Misty was tied up with too many other projects.)

The title of the sequel is THE SORCERESS OF KARRES. We haven’t started working on it yet, so it won’t be coming out until late in 2008 or sometime in 2009.

Eric

11. Eric says:

In answer to comment 9, Kathy Wentworth and I are working on a sequel to THE COURSE OF EMPIRE. Kathy’s doing the first draft right now. I can’t give you any publication date yet, though.

We don’t have a final title for the book. The working title is my somewhat whimsical NGC 7293, but that probably won’t wind up being the final title. (It’s the official astronomical designation for the planetary nebula in which much of the novel takes place.)

Eric

12. Eric says:

In answer to comment 6, I’m afraid I have no control over the way librarians decide to file my books. Nor do I see any way to solve the problem, beyond putting a big notice on the cover that says “This is science fiction” — which my publisher would refuse to do.

Sorry.

Eric

13. Eric says:

As you’ve probably guessed, I’m catching up on these comments at one fell swoop. So…

To go back to the first comment, you can find my free titles in the Baen Free Library at the following URL:

Those of many other authors are in the Library also. Just click on “authors” in the yellow menu on the left and you can go from there.

Eric

14. Eric says:

In answer to comment 5, I have no current plans to write a sequel to MOTHER OF DEMONS. That doesn’t preclude doing so, it’s simply that I have enough other work at the moment (to put it mildly) to keep me busy.

Eric

15. Dana says:

I am now reading “The Dance Of Time”, I LOVE these books. This series is the first of your books that I have read, I will definitely be checking out the rest. Keep up the good work and thank you.
    Dana

16. John Rain says:

Will you be writing any more stories or novels in the Crown of Slaves series? These characters are too good to stop now.

Thanks.

17. James Harland says:

Eric, i was wondering if you and your cohorts were considering completing a sequel for “The Wizard of Karres”? I really enjoyed the way you extended the original story and would appreciate another installment.

Yours aye,

James

18. Terrance says:

Sir I just wanted to say thank you for the many hours of pleasure that your books have given me.

19. Jason says:

Wow, I just finished 1632, both 1633’s, 1634GA, and The Course of the Empire in two weeks. I just couldn’t get enough. Thanks for writing those! They make me buckle down on my own work that much harder!

20. R Lloyd says:

Just read 1632,33,34GA and 34BW +ring of fire
    the free web books are a great idea since i ended up buying 34ga, and ring of fire print and 34BW in web version. Great read thanks for writing them

21. Dawn says:

Hello!

Just wondering if you, Dave and Misty will be doing more ‘Heirs of Alexandria’ books. I wanna see Manfred grow up!

22. Robert Hunger says:

Mr. Flint,
    I have to agmit to being quite a fan of yours. Others too, however. I am an avid reader of many types of book. I became quite an e-book fan because of the convenience of carrying many books on the road that way – I used to be a truck driver. However I am disappointed to say that I will now not buy many e-books. Most of them that I will not buy are fortunately not on Baen. However, many e-books are now selling at or near hardcover prices, and I consider that to be not only ridicoulous but a ripoff. Since you appear to have at least a large presence at Baen, please try to keep them from getting that way. Thank you.

23. Mark L says:

Might be wrong, but Ring of Fire II came out in January 2008, not 2009. At least if it did come out in 2009, I must have found a time machine, because I already have a copy of it.

• rboatright says:

nope, that entry is for the MASS MARKET PAPERBACK. — the hard cover came out a year ago.

and ROF III is not that far away. but I try to list paper and hc separately in this page.

Rick

24. Mark L says:

Never mind. I have the hardback ROF II (which does not appear to be listed as of Nov 10) not the paperback which is coming out in Jan 09.

25. John Jones says:

I really enjoy the Ring od Fire series, but just abslutely loved the hell out of “Rivers of Wars.” Any thoughts on when more books in the Rivers of War series would come out?

• rboatright says:

Uh, RoW 3 is after Crown of Slaves 2, which is probably after the next solo Eric Flint Ring of Fire novel, which is after …

Uh, Eric's back-logged a couple of years. Sorry. But that's reality for a busy, successful author with more-than-one series running. RoW kind of fell to the side when DelRey didn't pick up book 3….

26. Tony says:

Did I dream or… no announcment about Crown of Slaves 2 ? ><

27. Jess says:

Tony wrote

“Did I dream or… no announcment about Crown of Slaves 2 ? ><”

Eric’s working on that at the moment, so if we’re lucky we’ll see it in October, since Baen have scheduled their releases unusually far in advance, to September, and CoS II is his top priority. For more info on that go the the bar at Baen.com, and see the thread Horrors in Mutter of Demons.

28. arthur piantadosi says:

Dear Mr. Flint. I absolutly Love your 1632 series, and cannot wait for more, but I would like to know the answer to several questions if it would not be too much trouble. One: When is your Alternative history about Washington’s Army going to come out, and will the British win because his men are not there? And Two: Is it giving away the story to ask if the former Ostenders and that SHIT Bernard are going to be smashed into the ground. Because I would really like to know. And as regard’s The Course of Empire, why did you make the Jao partly crazy?

• rboatright says:

The George Washington alternate history novel has been canceled. Sorry.
      As to Bernard and co, you'll have to wait and see.
      As to the Jao, you would be better off asking Ms. Wentworth, she designed them.

Rick Boatright
      Loyal Minion

29. B Davis says:

What happened to "The Sorceress of Karres"? I still love "Witches" and enjoyed the sequel as well.

30. Julie says:

I have to agree… would love to see a sequel to Mother of Demons.. just my 2 cents

31. Jacek Adamowski says:

Mr. Flint

is there any chance your books would be available in audio format? This format is currently the only one I can “read”, as the only time I can spend on reading is while driving to work (thus reading paper books may be dangerous to me and other drivers :). I was able to read paper versions of the first two of 1632 series, but now I can only listen. I am finishing David Weber series on audio and it rocks. Would be great if was able to do the same with your books. Going further, if you recorded reading your books yourself, I am sure your fans would be eager to spend fortune to listen to it. Don’t you think?

32. jeff bybee says:

Dear Mr Flint
    thankyou for the many hours of enjoyment you’ve given me reading the ring of fire and the rivers of war series. I hope you like and write another 50 happy healthy years
    jeff bybee

33. Nancy says:

I have read over half of Eric’s works in Free Speculative Fiction Online, including much of the Belisaurius saga and Grantville’s progress, but it’s the “Changer of Worlds” series that I’ve really fallen in love. But there seem to be some gaping holes in the stories that are there and I’m wondering if there is more of it somewhere? Somewhat unusually for me (being on a limited income) I’d even be willing to pay for more! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

34. Susan Longtin says:

Hi, all. I love your 16xx series. I am eagerly awaiting the next book. Will there be another Ring of Fire? Sue from Albany, NY

35. Bryan says:

Eric,

A bit confused on the order that I should be reading the 1632 (Ring of Fire) series………… I just started 1633, so…………………….

Can you help me out? Whenever a new book is released in a series (no matter the author), I ALWAYS start over from the beginning. Always something new to pick up on. Been working overtime too much these days, and I’m trying to get a jump on the sequence. Can’t put it down.

Much thanks,

B

36. Sue says:

Hi. Love your stuff. Eagerly awaiting your next 163- novel. Thanks. Sue

37. Terru says:

I really enjoy all of the Karres books and just finished “Sorceress of Karres.” Is the series going to continue? Also enjoy your work with David Weber.

38. Andrea says:

are you going to write more Pyramid series novels?

39. Richard Horner says:

In response to comment 11 (“Course of Empire” sequel) – is this still in the works? I read CoE years ago and thought that it went far above the monikor of mere ‘pulp-sci-fi’ (which is what I thought it would be when I first picked up the book in a local library). Have since managed to get it in hardback (tricky, that!) and it holds a pride of place in my ever-burdgeoning library; I’d love to see a sequel.

40. Sgt. Cold War says:

I have not been so HOOKED on a fiction series since… Heinlein or Ellison’s works.

Yours are better. Rock on, Mr. Flint.

41. eddard williams says:

I was entranced by 1812;rivers of war and 1824;Arkansas war.I took it for granted the trilogy would be completed.Am i dreaming? I am a fan of Andrew Jackson; especially since you gave him a soul. Will there be more? Thank you.Eddard Williams

42. H.W.Barron says:

I am new to the 1632 series. Have obtained all of them through June 30,2009. Hate to read them at random. In what order would you recommend they be read?

“I have had problems with new technology every sense they got rid of clay tablets”
    HWB

43. Erin Frost says:

Hi Eric
    My name Is Erin Frost
    I was a very good friend of your mothers and Kathy’s in Las Vegas
    I have been in the hosptil for the last 6 mo .
    If kathy talked about me to you might know why
    I meet you and your wife at the hospitle when kathy was in for surger.
    I am so sorry to here about kathy she did not tell me how bad she was she new i wouldnt handle it
    iam skidoy (i have lots of my won problems )
    well to get right to it I am the one that lond them the 10,000.00
    i know $$ is tugh right now but i have a big problem
    I was robed while in the hosp. and all my thing were stollen and my safe to where all my money was
    I was just wondering if you have gotten read of all there things????
    If you still have it I love to get some of the things they have of mine I hope Please ???????????
    if not i understand I just dont know what iam going to do
    came home to nothing and no friends I MISS HER SO she was my only friend and your mom was like a mom to me
    she was like my mom I lost her when i was 18 .
    iam sorry to bother with this i just have nowhere to turn
    If you could help i would be very thankful
    my address 4528 Crystal Peak dr. Las vegas NV. 89115
    my Phone # is 702-788-3817
    please call if you want to Thank you erin

44. Anthony says:

Hi

Just finished re-reading 1812 and 1824, is there going to be a follow up. I would enjoy seeing a couple more books in this alternate series. Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Ant

45. Just finished “Mother of Demons”. Would love to read the rest of the story someday.

46. Hal Freeman says:

Mr. Flint:
    You should be ashamed of yourself. Offering up 1632, 1633 and Ring of Fire 1 as free reads is just about as bad as giving the first shot of Heroin free. I speak from experience. I had never read this series before and don’t remember how I stumbled across it but after reading 1632 I was hooked and there is no cure. So far, I’ve kept my job but I expect my girl friend will be gone before long. I mean really! I read 1632 and 1633 on June 12, 2011 and now I have bought and read all the 1634, 1635 and the one 1636 book as well as all three Rings of Fire, the Tangled Web, 1812 and 1824 and the first 20 volumes of the Grantville Gazette. I have to say if you’re gonna be an addict this is the way to go. In any case, I’m not ready to let go of addiction and hope to see a new 1636 or 1637 book in the near future.
    Hal Freeman

47. Dusan says:

I would like to read a sequel to “Mother of Demons” and I think I’m not the only one.

48. Mike says:

Hi! I´m wondering almost the same thing as the first poster. Which books in the 1632-series is avalible as audiobooks? I´ve tried to search amazon, but that page is a mess. Got any place you recommend us fans to buy books/audiobooks from?

49. Alison says:

I have to agree with some of the other posters – I know you have a lot on your plate, but please dump some of the 1642 stuff for a Mother of Demons Sequel!! I freaking loved that book and since its on the free library i’ve been making everyone I talk books with read it. ;)

-Alison

50. John Allen says:

Just finished Cannon Law and wondered if any of your other 1632 novels pick up on Harry’s rescue of Frank and Giovanna?