News about the Rivers of War series

Hi, all

I just thought I'd let everybody know that Baen Books will be picking up the American alternate history series I started at Del Rey, with 1812: THE RIVERS OF WAR and 1824: THE ARKANSAS WAR. I just signed a contract for two new books in the series.

Eric

Loyal minion note:  We don't yet know anything about the status of the first two novels except that 1824: The Arkansas War is scheduled for paperback release by Del Rey.  The possibility of webscriptions availablity of TAW is open to discussion but unknown.  More when we hear it.

–Loyal Minion

This entry was posted in Information, Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to News about the Rivers of War series

1. Bill Woods says:

Well, great. What’s the next one, 1825 or 1836?

2. Erik says:

Hopefully it’ll be the Rivers of War Gazette, from my POV.

3. tmp says:

Good news. I read the first one in the Baen free library, and then bought the PDF of the second one. And, after dealing with the DRM PDF, decided not to bother with any further installments. It seems I now have to. My poor VISA.

4. Just saying I am delighted to hear that more will be done with this series. I am absolutely captivated with the 1824 universe and am on tenterhooks to see how the war will develop and the characters will continue to grow.

5. C.R. says:

I’m a bit surprised that Jefferson’s children haven’t shown up…the Hemmings, that is…Harriet, Beverly, Eston, and Madison. Jefferson did free them at his death (1826), and in the 1824 universe they might feel safest in Arkansas. Given that Jefferson had strong feelings that slavery was morally wrong, and given that he was lucid in 1824, I would think a statement either in life or in his will would be forthcoming…hard to imagine him shutting up about the subject.

6. Dylan says:

Having recently read 1812, I find the general themes of your book are based upon interesting assumptions. First, that the immense dormant industrial and military power of the United States could be stopped by a group without heavy industry in massive quantities. Second, that the poor Irish, a group noted for their fanatical loathing of black people, are somehow going to ally with them. Third, its condemnation of the “elites” for their crimes. The New York Draft Riots and the Klan were not caused by elites, but by the group which always loathes minorities the most, the poor. The “egalitarians” were generally the most sincere and fanatical in their hatred, with Nathan Bedford Forrest as an excellent example. “Egalitarianism” is a useful way to distract from things that actually matter, like human rights.

7. El says:

So where are you at with the new R.O.W . novel, and the new Asanti Shards novels. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll buy Time Spike, and probably the paper versions of the Gazette. But I’m JONESING for more of these books.

My Name is El and I’m a Flintaholic.

8. Nick Destefano says:

Hopefully, if it follows the formula of skipping approximately 12 years, it’ll be 1836 and have to do with the Nullification Crisis in South Carolina, maybe even jump starting the Civil War early.

9. Maxim says:

I look forward to read the two new novels.

Dylan I think that you are to naive in your comment. It is true, that poor loath minorities most, but it is the case because somebody with money and or influence uses simply the “poor” for certain interests.

As for Human Rights: It is a very overused and misused term. I haven’t seen yet that the mass media simply shows breach of human rights. If you see a massive campaign again a contry than there are always other interests behind it.

Look at the situation with the Olimpic Games in Peking. Such a massive campaign hasn’t been started in a while. Sure there are problems in Tibet, but they don’t deserve the attention they got, if you compare them with other Human Rights violitions in other places in the world. To realy mean something Human Rights have to be protected everywhere and not serve as an instrument of economic and strategic competition.

10. Peter Ahlstrom says:

Since the first book actually happened in 1814 rather than the 1812 in the title, it would be more consistent to skip 10 years instead of 12. However, the war must be over by then, so it would seem odd to skip most of it.

I’m interested to know what would happen to the 1830-1846 Mormons in this changed world.

Responding to #6 above, I think Eric makes it clear that a war with the full force of the industrial and military power of the US behind it would overrun Arkansas by sheer numbers—but the political cost is a different matter entirely. And there aren’t a huge number of Scots Irish supporters.

11. laclongquan says:

The whole point of the Arkansas war is that somehow it solve (partly) the dilemma put on the republic: slavery. When it was solved, the reasons lead to Civil War are nullified.

In other words, instead of the Civil War between the North and the SOuth now we have the Arkansas War between the Blacks (and Reds) with the Whites (very small part, I admit, but White they are). And rumpus, fracas and etc among the Whites of various states. Instead of one concentrated war, now we have multitude of riots, unrests and a small war…

Instead of a limb removal operation now we have a high-fevered-but-whole patient. Yep, that will work.

12. Mariah says:

Good for people to know.

13. The thing is, the people in charge in Clay's administration remind me of Harding's cabinet, or Bush's. They are so corrupt, it will be a wonder if they can get ANYTHING done. Plus the situation is almost totally reversed from the Civil War. The North is being shanghaied into a war they don't want, which is not even popular in the South! It is Vietnam all over again, except even worse. Clay is screwed.

14. Eamonn says:

The issue is still state’s rights as in our history, but the roles are reversed. By 1860 population and voting power were to the North’s advantage so the South argued for state’s rights, but in the 1820’s the South was still more populous. As the North gets dragged into an unpopular war they are going to make the same argument only this time from an anti-slavery perspective.

By the way is this series dead? The last time I think it was mentioned was almost two years ago. I loved the books and would like to se more.

15. Ladyhawk says:

Finally I find a little about the “Rivers of War” series. I have been waiting (turning blue)trying to find if/when another in the series will come out. Wonderful, that Eric has signed for two new books. Any idea when we can expect another one???

16. Ethan says:

I just started reading Rivers of War. I would love to know when book 3 is coming out.

17. Ken says:

Nothing to add. I am another newbie to Mr. Flint’s work. I absolutely devoured the first two volumes of Rivers of War series, and I do hope he still intends to get the next two volumes to press at some point. I am hooked, and can’t wait to see where this is all heading. I’d love to discuss/debate some of themes and plot points and theorize what’s next if anybody else out there enjoyed them as much as me.

18. Dennis says:

If the ROW series jumps to 1836, that would be interesting regarding the Texas war of independance from Mexico possibly without Sam Houston.

19. Tim says:

“The series is on hold until Eric gets the time from his other work.”

Really? When exactly would that be? The man has so many different irons in the fire we’ll probably be lucky to see a sequel to 1824 by 2015!

20. J says:

I have now read the Rivers of War series 3 times each and simply can’t wait till the next book comes out. At least give us a hint of when that might be. please?

21. Alex says:

It’s coming up on five years since 1824: The Arkansas War came out. Is there going to be a third book in this series?

22. Terry says:

OK, Baen has got The Rivers Of War available as a download. The great thing about baen.com is that you can download books in Rich Text Format, edit them to reduce the size of margins, chapter breaks, etc. to save paper, and print them out, then put them in a loose leaf binder, and read them. All the other places with downloadable books restrict you to either reading them online, on your computer, or on an ebook device or to PDF, which can be printed but can’t really be edited.

But The Arkansas War is already out, and Baen still doesn’t have it available. Darn.

23. Fred Hyatt says:

Future volumes in the “Rivers of War” series could continue the 12-year naming interval even though each book would probably continue to cover events in more than one year… 1836 would lend itself to the battle for Texas independence; 1848 in real life saw the US at war with Mexico; 1860.. might NOT be the civil war if “Clay’s Benighted War” (as mentioned by Jackson in “1824”) but might see the South trying to expand slavery to the Caribbean (and pushing the Dons out) and west of Texas into modern-day New Mexico & Arizona… Add the California Gold Rush in 1849, the start of the railroads, mechanical harvesters like the cotton gin and even more immigrants from Europe… And this is just off the top of my head from poorly remembered history classes decades ago… I’m looking forward to the actual books!

24. Matthew says:

So it is now 2017 and while I am an even bigger fan of the 1632 series it would be nice to be appraised of the status of R.O.W. Is there going to be more? The suspense is quite excruciating.

25. Dave Armstrong says:

I have been a Flint follower since the start of the Ring of Fire series and always look forward to the next. I am disappointed that the Rivers of War series appears to have died. I am 73, will I live long enough to see some more?

• Peter Hobson says:

I’m 69 and I have the same worry, will I still be around when the next installment of the Rivers of War comes out?